San Diego CPA Referral please

9 Replies

Looking for referrals for a CPA in San Diego. I've searched similar posts and contact the folks responding to the post but so far no luck. I'm new to the investment and just sold and bought a property with a rental unit. Looking for a CPA who can help navigate through the tax season! thank you!

Hi Chiayu! I'm also new to real estate and am looking into hiring a CPA this year. I was referred by an accountant friend to Hughes Szuberla in Oceanside for their experience with residential real estate. I got a good feel from the initial consultation with respect to them being investor friendly, for example the CPA I spoke to said that their clients often run deals by them before closing to foresee any tax implications. That said I haven't actually worked with them yet so I'll be following along as well to see if others have recommendations for investor-friendly CPAs in the area. Good luck!


I recommend finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

@Nate P.

Your profile hints that you are living abroad.

If you are a US citizen - you want to make sure that the CPA you work with understands the foreign earned income exclusion(FEIE).

If you purchase a property and are expecting valuable feedback on how that property will impact your tax return, you will need to provide a rough profit and loss projection(rental income and expenses) along with purchase price to have a conversation with your accountant so that they can provide you good feedback. 

Good luck in your search for a CPA.

@Chiayu Vincler

If you sold a property, you may be too late to act on a 1031 exchange. Depending on what the gain will be, it may have been a good thing to do.

Selling a property is a meaningful taxable event. You likely want to engage a CPA before selling.

Good luck in your search for a CPA.