User Stats

Votes
Bret Birney
Votes |
Looking for long term relationship Contractor

Bret Birney
Posted Dec 25 2021, 19:22

Hi BP fam!

My partner and I are pre-approved to buy a SFR in San Diego and want to utilize this forum to help find contractors willing to do pre-purchase inspections and ultimately talk strategy on either a rehab or an ADU conversion we are wanting to begin right away as soon as we close in the next 30 days or so.

My partner and I will be investing in the San Diego area for quite some time so any contractors looking to establish a long term relationship are welcome to reach out or have their information sent my way.

Happy Holidays!

- Bret

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Kuczka
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Dec 28 2021, 14:51

@Bret Birney

Hi there!

I have a great contractor that I've been working with for the past year.

Best attributes :

-honest

-involved

-no BS

Now, I have to warn you about ADU life as I'm still working on mine. This is a loooooong process. My ADU was permitted in Dec 2020, and is not finished due to many, many tidbits and delays on this and that. I have to say though, a good contractor can pull you through the tough times and keep you excited for a year plus.

Please DM me for his contact info. I don't want to have him lose focus on my place. 😉

I'm in North Park if you want to have a beer sometime.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 29 2021, 06:43

@Bret Birney - I'm in Chicago so can't specifically help you in San Diego, but I'd find out who's super active in the San Diego BP community and network with them.  Once you find a decent contractor, oftentimes they know other good sub-trades as well

Also, if there are any local meetups in San Diego, I'd look to network with the hosts and see if they know anyone good.  My partner @Brandon Passley moved out to the area, but I am unsure if he has connected with anyone good yet.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find Investor-Friendly Agents in San Diego Work with an agent who understands your needs as an investor and helps you find the best deals.

User Stats

Votes
Bret Birney
Votes |
Replied Dec 29 2021, 10:56

Thank you for the information!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 15 2022, 16:34

Hey Bret, have you tried asking your realtor/real estate agent. Often times they know good contractors. You definitely want to find someone who you have a good feeling about. Good luck on the ADU hunt. The city is slow right now, but they are doing them. I'm currently working on a couple of plan sets.