Brad D.
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
SD Tiny Houses - Game Changer?

Brad D.
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 11 2019, 06:59

The SD Housing panel has approved them:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/san-diego/story/2019-10-10/san-diego-housing-panel-oks-movable-tiny-houses-as-new-low-cost-option

Not sure how much of the article I can copy/paste here, but let me know if it is allowed.

The full City Council needs to approve the code change in early 2020, and the Union Tribune says they are expected to do so. 

They will not be allowed to be rented for less than 30 days, need to be connected to city water, power etc, and there is apparently a long list of other requirements. But it sounds like even with the changes to make ADU's easier/cheaper, they weren't being built fast enough.

So what is going on here? Is San Diego trying to act fast before the state jumps in to force more affordable housing as they have done with other cities? I can't imagine anyone will want to live next door to a house with one or two of these in the backyard; but also I can't imagine a lot of people won't jump on this since it seems so much cheaper, quicker, and easier than granny flats.

If this is passed and investor/landlords start to do this, does it scale to the point of affecting rents, and thus property values eventually. It just seems to me the building/municipal/financial issues with ADU's have really limited their construction, but this could be different.

Loading replies...