User Stats

Votes
James Tiu
Votes |
Permitting a kitchen addition in San Diego

James Tiu
Posted Apr 30 2020, 22:00

Hello BP members,

I have purchased a 1400 sq foot 4bedroom 2bathroom duplex in San Diego. Each unit is approximately 700sq feet and 2bedrooms/1bathroom. It is going through a major renovation/rehabilitation and a permitted addition of 720sq feet and 2bedroom/1bathroom. I wanted to add an ADU initially but my initial lender said an ADU was not allowed in the FHA 203k loan. When the loan was sold and serviced by a different lender, they had no opposition to an ADU. I tried pivoting to have the addition set up to an ADU but the funding would be short. If I had gone with an ADU in the initial phase of the plan, I most likely would have an ADU now and I would not be asking this question.

That leads me to this question: Has anyone applied for a kitchen addition permit in San Diego? I would like to add a kitchen to the 720sq foot addition that is being adding to this duplex. The reason I am asking is because I would like to turn this addition into it's own in-law suite/space and a permitted kitchen would be the way to accomplish it.

If anyone has experience adding a kitchen addition permit in San Diego please let me know. Or if anyone in San Diego could direct me where to apply for such a permit, I would greatly appreciate the guidance. If this would not be permissible or permittable in San Diego also let me know.

As always, thank you BP.

Loading replies...