Votes
Christopher Greci
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Votes |
Tiny house!?!? Breaking the rules in Silicon Valley

Christopher Greci
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Posted Jan 15 2017, 20:29

I love real estate investing, its awesome.  However, in my personal life, I'm a minimalist.  I really could invest more if I minimized my personal expenses.  

My idea..... Buy a lot of land somewhere, preferably 30 mins no traffic (1 hour normal rush hour traffic) from silicon valley.  Build a tiny house on it.  Live in an RV temporarily.  I was considering what my friends are doing, living in an RV, in the city, but I want land, so thats a step up, right? 

If you don't know northern California / silicon valley.....well, you can make a TON of money working as an emgineer (me), but the economics are such that you don't keep your money.  Cheapest 640 sq foot apartment I found is 2,500$, what I'm paying now.  With some sacrifice, I can invest that money and retire early, or at least earlier.  

For example...... The Santa Cruz mountains look beautiful, anywhere off of route 17.  I already see some tiny houses there. 

Am I nuts? If so, help me short circuit the norms and make my pockets bigger long term.  I'm looking for a good trusty realtor that can find me some land in the greater San Jose area where I work. I need information and contacts in the area.  I also would love to talk to any realtors (anywhere) that have helped someone do this before.  Is this even feasible? Thats what I want to answer.  Am I not asking key questions?  I dunna.  Seems viable to me.  

I'm thinking about house hacking to free up cash flow too, but every strategy has its pros and cons, and thats just a backup in my eyes.  

Any reccomendations? Know any realtors specilizing in land/lots in our around San Jose? 

Loading replies...