• San Francisco, CA
Votes |
CPA recommendations in Bay Area

Ting Lai
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 3 2018, 17:48

Hi Everyone! 

I just started my journey as a real estate investor this year! Currently I have two rentals (single family) in Tucson, AZ and have been actively looking for deals / opportunities to expand my portfolio (mainly, out of California). I have thoroughly read @Brandon Turner's "The Book on Rental Property Investing", @Amanda Han's "The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor" and am currently reading @David Greene's "Long Distance Real Estate Investing". 

I am also actively looking to identify a CPA specializing in real estate investment as my business partner (sort of) so I do not repeat mistakes that @Amanda Han outlined in her book. Any good recommendations for me in the Bay Area?

Look forward to exponential learning on this forum!

User Stats

Votes
Allan Bishop Jr.
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Replied Aug 4 2018, 06:36

Sounds like you are off to a great start @Ting Lai!  Are you looking to stay with single family homes? 

User Stats

Votes
Ting Lai
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 4 2018, 07:31

@Allan Bishop Jr. I am actually thinking to diversify my portfolio to include not just SFR but also multi families. :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Hoang
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 4 2018, 09:20

@Ting Lai welcome to the forum! Interesting that you picked Tucson, AZ as my partner and I identified Phoenix and Tucson as great cities when doing our research to invest in cities outside of CA!

I'm currently doing multifamily out-of-state and am also hunting for a real estate focused CPA in the city. I have a lead but have yet to vet him. I'll let you know where my search lands me.

User Stats

Votes
Allan Bishop Jr.
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Replied Aug 4 2018, 15:53

@Ting Lai - I'm in KY now and the area I'm in (south of Louisville) has a shortage of rentals. I've just moved from the Killeen, TX area (where I have a SFH rental) and that is a good area for SFH and MFP rentals. I've lived in that area for over 15 years so I'm very familiar with the neighborhoods, property managers, and agents. If you look there and have a question just let me know. Also, the cities north of Austin are popular for investors too. @Poem Turner is an agent in that area and could answer any questions you have. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Eisenberg
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Votes |
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Replied Aug 4 2018, 16:04

@Ting Lai I live in the Bay Area too, and I'd also be very interested in a recommendation for a CPA in the area who knows about real estate investing. I also started in real estate investing this year, and my partner and I just closed on our first SFR in St. Louis, MO.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Hyman
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
  • CPA
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Aug 5 2018, 09:17
@Ting Lai You might want to expand your search to include CPA’s who work virtually. There are several on BP who work with investors all over. Sure I’m biased, but I think many would agree that when it comes to taxes and saving you money, industry specialization ought to trump geographic proximity.

User Stats

Votes
Ting Lai
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Aug 5 2018, 10:19

@Tommy HoangThank you for sharing! I would LOVE to hear your experience regarding how you and your partner decided on Phoenix and Tucson, and what agents you are using in these areas. I have vetted 2 CPA / firms so far, and have not made my decision yet. Please let me know if you have any good leads!

@Allan Bishop Jr. Curious why your area has shortage of rentals? Is it due to strong demand for home ownership? Insufficient rental infrastructure? Or just purely the fact that it's a hidden gem? I'd definitely be interested in exploring opportunities in KY and TX as long as the numbers check out. 

@Michelle Eisenberg Amazing! Seems we are on the same journey. I liked your questions about the break-even point because that also came up during my cost-benefit analysis. I want to have a partnership-type of CPA relationship (meaning, not just to talk to him / her once a year, but engage with them before I make decisions on investment) at a reasonable cost. (By the way I used to study / live in STL and would love to hear more of your investment experience there!)

@Daniel Hyman That's a great idea. I am not against to this at all and would like to here more of how this can be executed! 

User Stats

Votes
Allan Bishop Jr.
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Harker Heights, TX
Replied Aug 5 2018, 11:29

@Ting Lai - I moved here about a month ago when I got orders to Fort Knox. When I got my orders my wife and I decided to rent due to a couple factors. The lack of rentals in this area was shocking. We even considered buying but there wasn't much there either. Fort Knox itself has sustainability as a post and continues to grow little by little. The post also has a high number of Civilian employees. Unlike Soldiers these folks are pretty stable and don't move that often. This area is also popular with retirees.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Vedder
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Sep 3 2018, 17:29

@Ting Lai were you able to find a CPA that met your needs? If so, do you mind sharing their info with me through PM. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ting Lai
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Sep 13 2018, 20:23

@Justin Vedder I vetted some but have not hired or confirmed any candidates at this point. Am actually considering to reach out to more folks. How about? What's your approach when looking for CPAs? 

User Stats

Votes
Gaurav A.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 10 2018, 15:02

@Ting Lai Did you find a CPA?  I am looking for one as well.  Will you be able to share the leads or any references that you were able to collect?

User Stats

Votes
David B.
  • Millbrae, CA
Votes |
  • Millbrae, CA
Replied Jan 2 2019, 08:46

Add me to the list of people looking for a CPA. 2018 brought life changes (marriage, child) so I don't feel comfortable going with the TurboTax route this upcoming tax season. 

Any disadvantage to a virtual/remote CPA? I'm guessing that I'll have to scan documents, e-signature, etc much more but that's not such a bad thing really.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jan 3 2019, 00:26

@David B.

congratulations on the marriage and the newborn!

You want to make sure that the remote/virtual accountant is familiar with your specific tax profile. That includes knowing real estate taxation if you own rental properties. Furthermore, he should know the state tax laws in the states that you live and own property in.

Scanned documents is also not a bad thing. This is also beneficial for you as you have an electronic record of your tax documents just in case you need them in the future.

Signing documents is also easier with remote/virtual accountants. A lot of use some software that allows e-signature which avoids having to print, sign, scan and emailing back the signed pages.

User Stats

Votes
Matt K.
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Votes |
  • Walnut Creek, CA
Replied Jan 3 2019, 00:50

Check out @mattward he's a member on here..

Account Closed
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Clara, CA
Replied Jan 9 2019, 10:10

@Ting Lai

Hi Ting, were you able to find a good CPA? 

Thanks! Pooja

User Stats

Votes
Steve Kelley
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 5 2021, 11:07

I cant find any recommendation for a real estate CPA in the SF bay area.  did anyone find one?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Kelley
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 7 2021, 16:07

Did you ever find one?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2021, 09:46

Can anyone recommend a good real estate CPA in the bay area? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2021, 12:48

Hey everyone! I have the same question. 

Anyone find a good one and willing to share?

Also, how much do they charge upfront??

User Stats

Votes
Destiny Joy Kornegay
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)
Replied Aug 4 2021, 00:27

Yep, looking for a CPA as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Raquel Yu
  • San Leandro, CA
Votes |
  • San Leandro, CA
Replied Dec 27 2021, 17:37

Same here, has anyone found a CPA in the bay area who specializes in real estate/STR investing?

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garlington
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility
Replied Jan 3 2022, 19:26

Your CPA does not need to be in "The Bay Area". Your CPA needs to understand real estate investing AND own rentals themselves so they know the best way to do things. I own rentals here in the Bay Area as well as Out of State and the person wheo has been doing my taxes for years is in Georgia. Check out @Bill Hampton

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 19 2022, 12:20

I’m looking for a CPA that specialized in real estate. Does anyone have one to recommend ?