Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Cole Simpson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
Retirement Isn’t An Age, It’s A Financial Number.

Cole Simpson
  • Columbia, SC
Posted May 10 2022, 01:44

Have you heard of the F.I.R.E Movement?

Many people are well on their way to leaving the workforce early. But there’s a new wave of younger workers who are trying to take early retirement to another level. They’re on a mission to blaze a new path toward retirement as part of the F.I.R.E. movement.⁣

This is a lifestyle movement with the goal of gaining independence and retiring early. Being financially independent means you no longer have to work for money in a "traditional" job. You don't have to retire either, this movement gives you the option to do so. Maybe you always wanted to take some time to practice playing the piano? You now can because with FI you just gained back the most precious resource YOUR TIME.⁣ 

They believe it’s possible to retire sometime in their 30s or 40s⁣. F.I.R.E. stands for “Financial Independence, Retire Early.” The goal is to save and invest aggressively, somewhere between 50–75% of your income, so you can retire sometime in your 30s or 40s.⁣

No law says you have to work until you’re 65. That’s a myth!⁣

What are your thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 10 2022, 01:56

Having accomplished FIRE I can tell you that the "RE" part is deceiving. It's more like Financial Independence, then pursue other endeavors. Driven people who don't have an active purpose or pursuit tend to be miserable. I don't like the concept of retirement! 

User Stats

Votes
Troy Halsey
  • Contractor
  • spring lake North Carolina
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • spring lake North Carolina
Replied May 10 2022, 06:42

Wow!!!!! This is one great read wish you would post this on all social media sites people really need to read this!!!!!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 10 2022, 07:30

I've read some on the FIRE movement and as the poster above stated, I really believe it's more about achieving financial independence at a young age. I cannot imagine anybody who has the mindset and the drive to achieve financial freedom in their 30s or 40s being willing to just stop working for the rest of their life.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Breshears
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 13 2022, 09:36

I'm not full on FIRE but what I do focus on is cash flow.  I am not an equity investor, I tell people my horse eats $20 bills daily, so equity doesn't work, I need cash.  Knowing I am so strongly in one camp, I looked for way to invest that fit that desire, and that's how I came into private lending. I do have some real estate investments that allow me some of the tax benefits for our high income household, but as a whole, we do not want the albatross around our neck of being a landlord or in charge of some fix and flip.  I think the best thing about the FIRE movement is that it gives people a road map to live life with intention. I feel so many people just kind of muddle through the day, wait to get to the weekend, and then before they know it they are back at work on Monday, and rinse and repeat for life.  I knew I never wanted that life, and the FIRE movement gets a group of people together with the intention of having a design and a plan for life that is beyond where do you want to spend your one week of vacation a year!

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 13 2022, 09:43
Quote from @Cole Simpson:

Many people are well on their way to leaving the workforce early. But there’s a new wave of younger workers who are trying to take early retirement to another level. They’re on a mission to blaze a new path toward retirement as part of the F.I.R.E. movement.⁣

This is a lifestyle movement with the goal of gaining independence and retiring early. Being financially independent means you no longer have to work for money in a "traditional" job. You don't have to retire either, this movement gives you the option to do so. Maybe you always wanted to take some time to practice playing the piano? You now can because with FI you just gained back the most precious resource YOUR TIME.⁣ 

They believe it’s possible to retire sometime in their 30s or 40s⁣. F.I.R.E. stands for “Financial Independence, Retire Early.” The goal is to save and invest aggressively, somewhere between 50–75% of your income, so you can retire sometime in your 30s or 40s.⁣

What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of people have goals of financial independence or at least the people in real estate. Personally, for myself RE has become one of my passions. I do not foresee myself just stopping. I think life is all about finding the things that you’re passionate about and doing it. 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Ash
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 13 2022, 13:33
Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of people have goals of financial independence or at least the people in real estate. Personally, for myself RE has become one of my passions. I do not foresee myself just stopping. I think life is all about finding the things that you’re passionate about and doing it. 

@Steven Foster Wilson, I totally agree! Many push out the option to enjoy what they do every day to retirement, even if it is early. I believe we should all be working every day to create our perfect day whether it's on the weekends or the weekdays while on our journey to FI. I think the FI part of FIRE is the important thing to focus in on. The person who has the will power to achieve FIRE will probably end up miserable if they actually retired and had nothing to strive towards each day!

• Real Estate Agent WI (#90318-94)

Houseworks Collective - Compass Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 13 2022, 13:41

@Cole Simpson Yes, I've heard of it and actually know someone who is doing something similar. I think it's a good concept, however, I don't think I just want to sit and chill for the rest of my life after being financially independent. I'm going to want to do something I have more passion for, even if it doesn't pay. I think leaving my job that I kind of like to freely pursue something I really want to is the mindset I prefer. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 13 2022, 13:47
Quote from @Tommy Parker:

@Cole Simpson Yes, I've heard of it and actually know someone who is doing something similar. I think it's a good concept, however, I don't think I just want to sit and chill for the rest of my life after being financially independent. I'm going to want to do something I have more passion for, even if it doesn't pay. I think leaving my job that I kind of like to freely pursue something I really want to is the mindset I prefer. 

I agree. I'm retiring to do something more "risky" if I wasn't financially free. 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 17 2022, 11:45
Quote from @Ty Ash:
Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

What are your thoughts?

@Steven Foster Wilson, I totally agree! Many push out the option to enjoy what they do every day to retirement, even if it is early. I believe we should all be working every day to create our perfect day whether it's on the weekends or the weekdays while on our journey to FI. I think the FI part of FIRE is the important thing to focus in on. The person who has the will power to achieve FIRE will probably end up miserable if they actually retired and had nothing to strive towards each day!

I agree! I think that is why it is important to write down your goals and have multiple aspects of your goals. I have a family, friend, financial, spiritual, and enjoyment sections for my goals. I feel this is good because when I achieve one thing there is always another to grow in. Life is all about constant learning. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce D. Kowal
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Metro NY + New Bedford
Replied May 17 2022, 12:13

You do realize that you represent less than one half of one percent of Americans.  Enjoy

User Stats

Votes
Cory S.
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Replied May 17 2022, 12:21

The best feeling is having a job, with the peace of mind knowing you are financially covered, if you were to ever lose that job.