Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
Your self limiting belief(s) that hold you back from your vision?

Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Posted Dec 8 2022, 10:08

A self limiting belief that holds me back from my goals occasionally is actually feeling worthy and deserving of what I what I envision. This belief is something that becomes much more minimal the more that I talk to people in our sphere and support each other through mastermind groups to show that we are ALL deserving of what we can build and the sky is the limit…

What is holding you back?🤔

Happy Thursday guys! 😁

#househack #massachusettsrealestate #realestateinvestor

#Gardner #leominster #worcester #massrealestate #multifamily #realestateinvesting #Candorealty #realestateagent #realtor #investor #assets #cashflow #Lowell #Boston #Duplex #Triplex #Quadplex #smallcommercialmultifamily #commercialmultifamily

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 10:54

@Kyle Curtin - Great topic! I think we all feel that a little bit, imposter syndrome. I can definitely relate. 

One self limiting belief that took me over a decade to conquer was the courage to fail. In society, we are taught to be perfectionist and are rewarded as such throughout our schools by letter grades. Failure and non-compliance is very much discouraged in our educational system. However, to be an entrepreneur, you have to not be afraid to fail and have the courage to try something new, fall flat on your face and get back up like nothing happened. Once I started embracing failure, life and business just became so much easier. 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Curtin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tewksbury, MA
Replied Dec 9 2022, 04:22
Quote from @Andrew Freed:

@Kyle Curtin - Great topic! I think we all feel that a little bit, imposter syndrome. I can definitely relate. 

One self limiting belief that took me over a decade to conquer was the courage to fail. In society, we are taught to be perfectionist and are rewarded as such throughout our schools by letter grades. Failure and non-compliance is very much discouraged in our educational system. However, to be an entrepreneur, you have to not be afraid to fail and have the courage to try something new, fall flat on your face and get back up like nothing happened. Once I started embracing failure, life and business just became so much easier. 

Thank you sir! I totally agree! 
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 9 2022, 06:00

I could look back on my life and see that I have been successful in everything I've tried, usually performing in the top 5-10% of all participants. However, I bought my primary home and an investment and felt I had reached the pinnacle of what I was capable of. All my relatives lived in trailers, some of them on rented lots and some even rented the trailer. Owning my own stick-built home and an investment made me feel like I was a Rockefeller.

I was listening to podcasts and suddenly realized I didn't have to settle for just one rental. I didn't have to stop myself at $20,000 a year income. If I wanted to invest in real estate and create real wealth, I could do it just as well as the next guy.

Five years later I had 33 rentals, 135 storage units, 100% financial freedom, and my rentals earn as much as I do from my work. But it's only the beginning!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lexey Vezzoso
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jan 26 2023, 16:04

I let fear get in my way way too much. Fear I won't be good enough, fear of embarrassing myself, fear of not know what to do etc. 

I also struggle with imposter syndrome horribly!

Thank you for asking this question!

It's good to get vulnerable sometimes and share these things. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:35

Nothing holds me back, have a solid and killer mentality. Spend all your time in real estate and you will be so busy you don't have time to think about anything else. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Christopher Zaleski
  • Investor
  • Pueblo West, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pueblo West, CO
Replied Jan 28 2023, 19:05

I teach college as my full-time gig and get really bummed out when kids put limits on themselves, especially when it's really easy stuff. For example, accumulating 1 million dollars of net worth. 

From my experience, the origin of the problem is letting other people put limits on yourself. When someone says, "You can't do that" what they really mean is, "I can't do that." 

Different people have different comfort levels of risk. The weird part is that very few recognize that it's their own personal appetite for risk. Many mistakenly believe that their specific appetite for risk is the "correct risk" It might be correct for them, but not for everyone. 

I really like the passive part of real estate investing. I hustled when I was younger, but I don't have to do that anymore. I have 3 rentals (4 doors) and a primary. I work around 1,000 hours/year at my day job and 200 hours/year on my rentals. It's a great life. I'm not really impressed with someone who has 50 units, a lower net worth and works 2500 hours/year. More units is not always better. 

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Marcus Auerbach#2 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Feb 2 2023, 05:30

Self limiting believes are a real thing! Most people want to "have" things, but that's not how it works. There is this phrase: Be. Do. Have. - The order of these 3 words is important.

You first have to "Be" that person, which includes your mindset.

Then you have to "Do" the things that are required.

And then you will finally "Have"

This becomes crystal clear when you think about people who have money issues. They say things like, if I only had $10,000 all my problems would go away. Or a million, whatever. We all know the stories about people who won the lottery and are broke a year later. They started with "Have".