Votes
Michael Naples
Pro Member
Votes |
Potential Cash on Cash Returns in today's market

Michael Naples
Pro Member
Posted May 3 2023, 14:16

Hi - on today's MLS market I am finding a lot of 6% or 7% CoC returns for single-family or duplex homes. Curious as to what the broader investors think of these returns given today's interest rates?

User Stats

Votes
Josh Young
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied May 3 2023, 20:13

@Michael Naples

That seems really high for most markets with today's rates and prices.  Make sure you are accounting for Vacancy, Maintenance & Repairs, Property Management and Cap Ex. These combine could be 20-25% of rent or more depending on the property.  I think most markets are negative on single-family unless you put 40% or more down.  

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Orange County, CA
Replied May 3 2023, 21:20
Quote from @Michael Naples:

Hi - on today's MLS market I am finding a lot of 6% or 7% CoC returns for single-family or duplex homes. Curious as to what the broader investors think of these returns given today's interest rates?

I think you are summing up all of the markets into 1. Which markets are you looking at? There are a lot of linear markets in the US and there are a lot of high growth markets. Also what type of areas? A/B/C Class area affect your returns.  I am getting 10-15% cash on cash in linear markets like Memphis or areas of Ohio with current mortgage rates. This is for B class areas. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Naples
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 4 2023, 04:35
Quote from @Josh Young:

@Michael Naples

That seems really high for most markets with today's rates and prices.  Make sure you are accounting for Vacancy, Maintenance & Repairs, Property Management and Cap Ex. These combine could be 20-25% of rent or more depending on the property.  I think most markets are negative on single-family unless you put 40% or more down.  

Thanks, Josh!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Naples
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 4 2023, 04:39
Quote from @Melissa Nash:

I think you are summing up all of the markets into 1. Which markets are you looking at? There are a lot of linear markets in the US and there are a lot of high growth markets. Also what type of areas? A/B/C Class area affect your returns.  I am getting 10-15% cash on cash in linear markets like Memphis or areas of Ohio with current mortgage rates. This is for B class areas. 

Great point. I am in B Class neighborhoods as well. Is this 10-15% for 'Buy and Hold' Strategies or 'STR,' etc?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Naples
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 5 2023, 18:31

Great point. I am in B Class neighborhoods as well. Is this 10-15% for 'Buy and Hold' Strategies or 'STR,' etc?

Also, is this for MLS or Off-market deals you are finding the 10-15%?

User Stats

Votes
Matt N.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 10 2023, 06:52

@Michael Naples

Please don't listen to any of these people ^^^. Look at their location and ask yourself, What do they know about Philadelphia?

Just closed a duplex in Germantown that is 50% cash on cash. Utilizing the KFLEX loan program and getting some sellers assist money my buyer got in for $7000 out of pocket and the home will cash flow 300/month after factoring in maintenance, vacancy and property management. 

I can show you this deal as proof... and again, ignore the people from cali or out west commenting on Philly real estate posts. 

Check out my profile and if you need or want help just reach out! 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa Nash
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • Orange County, CA
Replied May 10 2023, 12:34

Buy and hold turnkey. I am hitting B class + renovated + professionally managed 10-15% all day long. 

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 11 2023, 06:39

Hey Michael, at the end of the the day it depends where in Phila you are looking for. Some neighborhoods have some great returns but other draw backs. I generally aim for 10%+ CoC on my investments. I would be happy to connect and share with you my experience investing in the City. Fee free to reach out anytime!