Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Alycia Calderin
Votes |
Would you invest?

Alycia Calderin
Posted Dec 27 2023, 08:24

If you had a Realtor come to you with a property that needs rehabbed, a plan and estimate for rehab, and a report on how much the property would be worth after flip, would you invest? 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied Dec 27 2023, 08:53
Hi Alycia, we will need more information on your deal. Generically-speaking, I'd take a lot of time to evaluate how much I would pay for this property. It's coming from an agent, so is likely a retail-priced property. Those aren't inherently bad but they often have less value-add. Make sure you buy it at the right price.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Allen
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Dec 27 2023, 14:52
Quote from @Alycia Calderin:

If you had a Realtor come to you with a property that needs rehabbed, a plan and estimate for rehab, and a report on how much the property would be worth after flip, would you invest? 

You can save yourself the trouble and get peace of mind by investing in in properties that are turnkey and will cash flow from day one. We work with out of state investors everyday that jump on these opportunities. It sounds like the Realtor is suggesting you utilize the BRRR strategy. If this was a viable option, the realtor would likely take advantage of it themself.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
#5 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Real Estate News & Current Events Contributor
Replied Dec 27 2023, 15:02

You seem like a rookie and easy bait. Do that math yourself, before you take anyone's word. Then take into the account the stress of managing people to do it, and how you want to protect yourself. 

If it's in Savannah, good luck. I'm in that city, too, but one of the hardest to get quality people to work. I had to get on people's ***, they saw new ways they can be held accountable. 

User Stats

Votes
Taz Zettergren
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Dec 27 2023, 17:28

@Alycia Calderin if that's what you've been asking for and the numbers make sense then yes! If I were in your shoes I may ask them why aren't they buying it just so there's full transparency. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Travis Timmons#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Dec 27 2023, 18:02

Only consider it if it is a property that you would be fine owning for 10 years. 

Every property has a story, and you typically don't learn all of the details until you already own it. There will be surprises. 

Proceed with caution, do your own underwriting, and make sure that it pencils if you end up getting stuck with it. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 27 2023, 18:28

@Alycia Calderin

Only if I had the experience to take it on

Renovating a property is not as easy as hgtv shows it. It is very challenging and a few mistakes can cost tens of thousands.

I would tell anyone to start small and do not bite off more than you can chew

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 27 2023, 21:49

i can do all of that without realtor. but i need to live local to project the cost. this is not some rocket science. so yes, i will invest if it does match with my ability.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 28 2023, 04:41

@Alycia Calderin If the numbers make sense and you have a team in place to do the renovations or can do them yourself then I would say go for it.

I wouldn’t be so concerned with why the Realtor isn’t buying it himself because my Realtor isn’t an investor he’s been a Realtor for almost 30 years now and this is his retirement job and he doesn’t want the headaches of tenants. He does want me to succeed however and brings me great deals!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 28 2023, 09:10

Hey Alycia, I think I would invest. Growing up, my mother always said it is best to invest in property. We know that overtime in almost every scenario, land will appreciate. As this world becomes more and more crowded, I feel that the need for housing will only increase! With that, I feel that now is a better time than ever to get into real estate investing. Although you might find some bumps along the way, alongside the importance of doing thorough research, I feel that with time you will appreciate your decision to begin this journey!

User Stats

Votes
David Fern
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Spokane, WA
Replied Dec 28 2023, 12:18

I would run your numbers conservatively. Losing money sucks, I have lost $ before in REI by trusting a realtor whose #s were not necessarily accurate… a lesson learned. General consensus is rehab will cost more than you think, take longer than you think, and ARV might not be as high than you think.

All that to say, you eventually have to take a leap of faith. If your realtor has REI experience, I think that makes his suggestions more reputable. If he's not an investor, then take it with a grain of salt.

I am very glad that I have gotten into REI (4 years now). I have had a couple go well, and one big loser. I've heard it said "you either win or you learn". I've done a little of both.

You make your money when you buy. Buy well. Best of luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Dec 28 2023, 12:49

If the number makes sense sure why not? The question is what is your strategy of acquiring this project? Fix and Flip or holding it as a rental property by acquiring it at  a  low cost then maximize your profit return?

@Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Walter Correia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Dec 28 2023, 13:57

@Alycia Calderin

I would if the number works

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.