Marie Prophete
Pro Member
Votes |
New Investor In Memphis Tennessee

Marie Prophete
Pro Member
Posted Jan 22 2024, 08:19

Hello, My name is Marie

I am a new investor seeking to eventually move to Memphis.  I am always looking for tips and ideas about issues that investors run into.

I purchased my first investment property last month and the first problem I ran into, wasn't with the house but the seller!!

She misrepresented the lease for the tenant, and lied about the tenant moving out at the end of the month.  Now, I am stuck with a tenant that cannot afford to live there and they have 2 kids under 6years old.  What would you do?  What does the law there allow?

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Ray
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jan 22 2024, 10:59
Quote from @Marie Prophete:

Hello, My name is Marie

I am a new investor seeking to eventually move to Memphis.  I am always looking for tips and ideas about issues that investors run into.

I purchased my first investment property last month and the first problem I ran into, wasn't with the house but the seller!!

She misrepresented the lease for the tenant, and lied about the tenant moving out at the end of the month.  Now, I am stuck with a tenant that cannot afford to live there and they have 2 kids under 6years old.  What would you do?  What does the law there allow?

Did you buy this property in Memphis? Did you use a realtor to purchase this "deal"? You should definitely seek legal attention to find out whats necessary to do from here because proper disclosures not being used are 99% of the reason why sellers find themselves in a lawsuit. This is also why its important to use a Realtor when you don't know where to start or what to do. Let me know if I can help with anything! 

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Jones
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jan 25 2024, 06:29

@Marie Prophete That's a difficult situation to navigate! If there is no active lease, I would first try working with the tenant on a date for them to be out by that's not immediate but also not far out, so it'll have to work for both parties involved. Depending on their reception, I may throw in some cash as an incentive but make the contingency to receive said cash very clear. Keep a beat on the situation and their progress. If she's moving, then just give her the time. If she's not, then you'll have to escalate to eviction. The key is going to be distinguishing between if they don't want to move at all or just need time to move. As far as the law, she would have needed to be given at least a 30 day notice to vacate. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes