Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Colby Sykes
Votes |
Next step to take for investment portfolio

Colby Sykes
Posted Apr 5 2024, 09:32

First time poster! I currently live in California but I own 3 single family homes and a 6 plex all in Maryland …all of these were purchased between 1-4 years ago. All are cash flowing, and I have done an accelerated depreciation on all of 4 properties. I am wondering what should be my next step…

1. Do I take money out of my homes equities and buy more rental properties that way and just bite the bullet on the cost of a HELOC interest rate.

2. Wait another couple years until I have fully used up my accelerated depreciation (5 year total) and buy 2-3 properties per rental sold?

3. Keep all the units I currently own and just save up for each additional unit like I have done to build up what I currently own?

thanks !

User Stats

Votes
River Sava#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
River Sava#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Apr 5 2024, 10:36

Hey Colby - Congrats on your successful portfolio! 

Given your situation, tapping into the equity through a HELOC could be a smart move, allowing you to access capital for new investments without selling off your current assets.

That being said, considering your stable cash flow and existing portfolio, a DSCR loan could also be valuable. You would have more flexibility and scalability for expanding your portfolio. Have you looked into these at all?

User Stats

Votes
Colby Sykes
Votes |
Replied Apr 9 2024, 06:55
Quote from @River Sava:

Hey Colby - Congrats on your successful portfolio! 

Given your situation, tapping into the equity through a HELOC could be a smart move, allowing you to access capital for new investments without selling off your current assets.

That being said, considering your stable cash flow and existing portfolio, a DSCR loan could also be valuable. You would have more flexibility and scalability for expanding your portfolio. Have you looked into these at all?

Hey! Thanks for the info. I have looked into the DSCR loans but you would still need to come in with a large portion of the down payment correct (the remainder of what is under the 75% loan to rental income )correct? Thanks 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes