What is considered a good deal to an investor specifically?

5 Replies

Hi all,

I assume that every investor has a different idea of what constitutes a good deal. Maybe some want a very large profit margin? Maybe some only need a certain percentage? How do I know what an investor wants so I can structure my search for deals accordingly. Thanks, Rob

Are you trying to wholesale or bird dog? What is it you are wanting to do? You're in a very expensive area of the country so it will be tough to find the kinds of deals that most of BP'ers are after. You are correct...all of us are looking for something different depending on our model...and some, sadly, really have no idea what they are looking for or are too scared to pull the trigger on a deal. You will see a ton of that in the REIAs. All of us are usually seeking higher returns for more risk...a rented property that is cashflowing will return less than a fix & flip...at least in theory for most of us. For me, if I can't offer or get 10% net as a minimum per deal, I wouldn't be interested. Others are different.

I'm speaking from a wholesaling perspective. Why specifically do you say Nj is difficult? And can you elaborate on your 10%. Can you paint a picture for me. I'm a newbie. Thanks Rob.

Hey Robert,

You need to research whatever market you are trying to get wholesale deals in.

And Robert L is right, ask your buyer's what they are looking for, where and how much they are willing to spend and then go find it.

Reverse engineer this thing and your buyer's have done half the job for you.

reverse engineer. I like that. Thank you and everyone.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you