First Impressions

5 Replies

Does the vehicle you drive and your personal appearance play a significant role in your deals?

There is always a perception regarding appearance.  This might only play a real factor if you are selling homes to investors, for example:  In my business investors will fly here to meet with several companies like mine.  they come to the office, meet the team and then we go drive by homes.  Some investors will look at the guy who drives an average or not as nice of a vehicle and either think 1 of 2 things, either he doesnt have a nice vehicle bc business os not good for him or they like it bc he is not blowing his money on the new 5 series BMW.   Your appearance should always be presentable when in the presence of potential clients. 

Curt Davis, Real Estate Agent in TN (#00321765)
605-310-7929

As much as it shouldn't play a part I think it does. My business has almost doubled since I got a new car ('05 Pontiac Grand am to 2014 Audi A4) (granted a lot more factors go into that other than the car) But I do feel it has played a part. Especially being younger and in the business showing that you are successful and presenting yourself in a way that exudes confidence and success does matter. People want to work with other successful and like minded people. 

Points well taken. Thanks guys , just asking because sometimes people perceive you as someone who's there to take advantage of them and make this big windfall of money off of them. Personally, I work very hard for my money and I like nice things and my money is generated from my 40 hour work week in the Building Trades, however, prospective clients don't know this and they seem to want more than what they are offering is worth.

Truth be told , I have actually been losing money and had not it been for my job, I wouldn't be able to do a thing involving investing of any kind.

I think it goes both ways. If you are trying to take on clients, make sales, or get bank loans I think a nice car and attire helps. If you are going to buy a mobile home in a park for $2,000 I think it helps to drive up in a work truck and hop out wearing carharts and boots. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.