Should you live in your nicest SFH

6 Replies

I was having a discussion with my Wife and made the statement "that I never want to live in our nicest home". She understood my thought process but had displayed some mixed feelings.  

Do others think along those lines or have I taken a frugality extreme 

Let me know

Garrett

It's personal preference.  Most women will want to live in the nicest neighborhood they (you) can afford and drive the nicest car they (you) can afford.  That being said, your nicest home will likely have the least cash flow and have the highest taxes so I'm not sure it would make the most financial sense not to live in your nicest home.  Also there is some tax incentive to live in a home with a high mortgage.

Where do you want to be in 10 years?  Most of the nice home folks with the nice cars are broke and both working 60 hours a week just to make their payments.  They are able to keep very little of their income.  

It is a fact that your house is not an asset that puts money in your pocket. Do you want your most-limited ROI structure to be a big expensive thing, or a nominal and functional thing? I chose good enough, but that's just me. Good discussion @Garrett F. !

I'm not a house person I live in a condo. 

Like the mechanics car I have zero interest in working on my personal real estate on the weekends, hence the condo. 

OTOH I built and own the complex.

Funny, I´ve had this exact same conversation twice - once with a former fiance when I had my first (false) start in REI, and the second with the woman that is now my wife and best partner (these are different people, if that is not clear). Not saying anything about your relationship, so don´t mistake me, but one of those two conversations has worked out much better - my wife, while understanding that we work to enjoy nice things, agrees that our focus needs to be our investing.

Yes, I do. I like living in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood and sending my kids to a great school. I am not a car guy or any other sort of flash but life is too short for me to live somewhere I don't want to live. I am willing to make sacrifices in other areas of my life to live in a nice place.

Lol, Congratulations on having that discussion early. @David H. 

They say your most important partnership is your marriage. Its a conditioning process like investing and the rewards are worth it ;)

Garrett 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.