Skip to content
Investor Mindset
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Landlords, Realtors, Sellers. Would you condone this?

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Posted Sep 24 2015, 11:29

I am not the first person that has mentioned being baffled by what people will post on the internet with their name attached. 

Here is what an investor posted

"I contacted my Realtor and he contacted the seller's Realtor. I didn't hear anything and tried to find out what was going on. My Realtor said "the listing agent said the tenants are being difficult and aren't letting anyone see the property".

So, being the type of person that doesn't let a little thing like that stop me, I drove over to the property and knocked on the door. A woman answered and I let her know that I understood the house was for sale and I was looking to buy a property like this as a rental property. I asked her if I could please see the interior. She said sure, and gave me such a great tour. She was friendly and personable and when I told her what the listing Realtor said, she said she's never been "difficult". She did point out a few deferred maintenance items that the prior property manager (who was also the listing Realtor) never fixed. I asked her what she was paying in rent and I told her I would lower her rent by $75/month and she hugged me, she was so happy! She said her and her husband are on a fixed income and that $75 would make so much of a difference in their lives.

I did an internet search and found the email for the seller directly (oh, the things you can find on the internet these days!) and emailed him and said "I would like to buy your house and I will pay your asking price and I will pay cash." He seemed a little suspicious but said I would need to go through his Realtor. So I had my Realtor write up an offer and submit it to the listing agent. He then accepted the offer."

As an owner that has contracted with a Realtor I am not expecting my tenant to "show" the property for me.  I would be incensed if someone showed up on my tenants doorstep and interfered with my landlord/tenant relationship.  Definitely a lawyer letter and possibly a police call.

As the listing agent I would be incensed when the owner called me to say the tenant was told that I made a comment that they were being difficult.  Excuse me,  there were several appointment times offered but none were convenient for the buyers agent.  I've also got the owner made at me because they are being contacted directly.

As the buyers agent I would refuse to write an offer.  Excuse me I never would have given you the address if I thought you would stomp over there on your own.  And what's this crap about contacting the seller direct?  Hoping to cheat me and the listing agent out of a commission?  And what would possess you to relay a statement I made to you to the tenant?  You are on my "do not show" list.  You showed yourself the property, I don't want anything to do with you.

As the tenant I'd be pissed that you showed up and intimidated us into showing you the property.  We assumed you were acting under authority of the owner.  Now that we know that you weren't our lawyer will be contacting you.

Am I just out of touch with what passes as ethical today?  It seems that this investor opened themselves to all kinds of liability and burned some bridges in the investing community.

Is this acceptable behavior and would you post it on the internet?

Loading replies...