Votes
Bryan Potts
  • Adamstown, MD
Votes |
Social Anxiety

Bryan Potts
  • Adamstown, MD
Posted Feb 29 2016, 11:21

Hey BP, I wanted to talk to you today about something that has affected me pretty much my entire life (as far back as I can remember at least), and that's social anxiety. Just as the name states, I get very anxious during social events/interactions (especially when I don't know anyone), or whenever I'm the center of attention (all eyes on me). I've played sports my entire life and for the most part was able to block it out, or at least press through it, when it came to that (for instance; up to bat in baseball or at the free throw line in basketball). My current job sometimes requires me to give training classes, which I absolutely dread since the whole fear of public speaking goes hand-in-hand with social anxiety, but in those instances I really have no choice but to suck it up and be miserable for those days. 

Unfortunately, this really holds me back in a lot of aspects in life. I do have a wife, kids and a good job (so it hasn't completely held me back), but this job isn't something that I want to continue to do for the rest of my life. I really feel that the social anxiety is my #1 reason holding me back from pursuing deals and stepping forward onto the path of real estate investing. Perhaps some of you can relate and share some stories that have helped you overcome this, or at least subside it some?

The fact that networking and making new connections is the most important thing when it comes to real estate investing, and it's one of the hardest things for me to do because of the anxiety, can someone like me overcome this? Or perhaps this "career" just isn't for me? There is an informal investor meet-up next week close to where I live that I would like to attend, and in doing so would be a huge step outside my comfort box/zone, so maybe getting out and making those new connections would help some? 

I really would like to pursue real estate investing (in some capacity) and would most likely regret it if I never tried.

Loading replies...