Matthew Crawford
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Neighbor/Friend just passed; Best way to approach his estate sale

Matthew Crawford
  • Denver, CO
Posted May 4 2016, 14:19

Hello to all here on BP,

I have a fairly interesting/touchy situation on my hands and would love to hear any experience or advice on the subject!

So I have moved into a town home community recently and had the pleasure of meeting, for the sake of this discussion 'Ralph'. Ralph was 94 and fully dependent on his much younger girlfriend and hospice. Few weeks ago their hospice nurse moves locations and being their neighbor next door, the girlfriend asked me to assist Ralph in getting up and out of bed, and back in to bed and Saturdays and Sundays as she was not strong enough alone. With my previous experience in PT this really wasn't an issue plus I was helping out someone in need. So I befriended Ralph and his mid-50's girlfriend and built some great rapport over these past weeks. Cutting to the chase, Ralph passed away this week from natural causes. I'll miss the cheeky old man and know he is in a better place. 

I have talked with 'Tony' the girlfriend since the passing and made sure she knew I was there for anything if she needed something, I mean I am still next door after all. However It is pretty certain she is looking to liquidate any assets that are left behind and to my understand the town home, etc. is going to go, most likely sooner than later.

I am certainly not an ambulance chaser and definitely not planning on approaching her about buying this town home anytime soon, in fact I am bringing her a bottle of wine, and some other 'Colorado goodies' which we have shared prior together this evening. The last thing I want is this idea to sound greedy or inconsiderate. 

Would love any feedback or advice or experience on how to best ease into a partnership and conveniently help her out with what could become a lengthy drawn out process.

Thank you for the insight and help BP!

Blessings,

Matthew

Loading replies...