• Merced, CA
Votes |
Analysis paralysis or smart?

Tim Jones
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Merced, CA
Posted Jan 21 2017, 23:09

Hi, I'm looking to get some feedback from some experienced investors that have been working in the industry for at least a few market cycles.
I'm properly positioned to start investing. I have some cash, credit(HELOC), and financial education. I live in a tertiary market in California and prefer to invest locally.
My RE strategy would be buy-and-hold. I'm not against flipping but I feel the margins are very thin right now.
Everything I'm coming in contact with seems to point towards an impending recession. I read John Mauldin and listen to the BP podcasts. I'm hearing rumblings of downward price corrections in the South Bay Area.  The California State Controller, Betty Yee, spoke at a function recently. The State of Ca is anticipating a recession.
As much as I want to buy a property, I feel like we're near the top of a market cycle. I would really like to get myself in mortgage debt at these low rates before Quantitative Easing forces a run up in inflation.
The multi-year run-up in prices following the Great Recession has me thinking it might be a good time to offload my primary residence( bought in 09). That's what I did in 2005 and that seemed to work out well.
I know there's not a crystal ball out there but I'm curious as to what is a good strategy right now. Am I smart to wait for a recessionary period? California is already tough to even approach a 1% rule let alone the 2% rule.
Thank you for any and all input!
TJ

Loading replies...