Skip to content
Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Alek Liskov
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Votes |
What is the best MBA concentration for real estate investors?

Alek Liskov
  • Investor
  • Clifton, NJ
Posted Jul 13 2017, 05:42

Hello BP Family, 

I searched but couldn't quite find a post that addresses the intersection of an MBA and REI so I figured I write one. I am asking this question specifically with regards to my personal situation, but I think it would serve well for others who are at the same intersection.

Let me start off by saying - I know that the best way to learn about REI is to do it and to learn from the school of "hard knocks". There are also a bunch of very useful books by BP and others that I strongly recommend to anyone getting started! I agree with all of that as I invested and read many books and will continue to educate myself in both of those ways. There are a few reasons for me getting my MBA: It's a goal I've set many years ago. It'll be free. It will certainly help me earn more in my corporate job in the short term, which I enjoy doing and plan to continue to do. Lastly, I firmly believe that it could benefit you in terms of connections and provide a framework for building a larger business irrespective of whether you want to invest in single family, multi-family, notes, or start an adjacent business. At the end of the day, the only way to succeed is to treat each and every one of them like a business.

All that being said, what do you think is the best concentration? Of course, as an MBA you cover all of the core competencies such as finance, accounting, management, but then you have to pick a concentration. I'll list a few standard and a few non-standard options. Of course it really depends on the school, but I would love your feedback as to what you think is the best and why.

• Accounting
  • Finance
  • Project Management
  • Marketing
  • Strategy & Analytics
  • Real Estate (if available)
  • Entrepreneurship (if available)

If there are any that I missed, feel free to add it. I look forward to a great discussion. Thank You!

Regards,

Alek

Loading replies...