• Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
The END game

John Santero
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted Jul 30 2012, 07:59

I noticed that many investor seminars suggest various options after one purchases/rehabs and is ready to sell their finished product. They suggest that if you cant get your price, than you can either rent it or option it rather than continue to sell it. My feeling on this issue is that you follow your end game.
If your plans were to rent, than rent it. Same as if you wanted to flip it.
Changes in your end game strategy usually costs you money in the end.
Case in point- if you were planning to retail sell a property - putting it into a rental will cost you money in the end. Meaning - if your plans were to buy and sell-than chances are you made rehab decisions in that direction. You probably upgraded your rehab to sell. Your property will never look that good again once you change your end game to rent rather than sell and, chances are that you will have to rehab again in order to sell it at retail. The only exception is that you sell the property to an investor with a renter in it as an income stream but many purchased and installed upgrades were probably not needed in the rental.
I suggest if you were going to sell- Sell- lower the price - sell it and move on. Learn why you didnt receive the original estimated ROI and try it again. Hanging on not only ties up capital that can be re-applied to other projects, it just delays the pain.

Loading replies...