• Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
The REI Investing Mindset

Shawn Davis
  • Investor
  • Yardley, PA
Posted Oct 19 2019, 01:08

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to attend my very first real estate investing seminar. The seminar, which held in my home state of New Jersey, introduced me to the concepts of REI Investing through the purchase of tax liens and deeds. As a complete beginner, Prior to this seminar, this REI strategy (and the concept of REI opportunities outside of being a real estate agent) was relatively alien to me. Not only was I not aware there were other alternative strategies, I didn't even think they existed. So when I say that what I learned altered the course of my financial success and - by extension - my life forever, I say this with the greatest humility.

The seminar was 3 whole days of immersion into the foundations of REI investing. Concepts such as the 1% percent rule, exit strategies, and financing methods struck the boundaries of my mind, electrified new possibilities and expanded the boundaries of my mind. I became a sponge with immutability. Similarly such concepts like redemption periods, auctions, and redemption interest rates, gave new insight and forced me to broaden my definition of investing. I could now realize my adolescent dream to be a property owner without become a real estate agent.

The thought had given me new life. And even though I was possessed with renewed purpose and confidence, I couldn’t help but notice the feelings of uncertainty. There sitting in the midst of all the rapture was a faint feeling that we may have been taken advantage of and even somewhat played. Did I get everything i had hoped to gain from this training? On cue, as if she knew exact frequency that tuned her into to my innermost thoughts, my girlfriend and business partner uttered, “So what did we pay the 500 dollars for exactly?”

She continued, “We didn’t make any investments, not in liens or deeds, and we don’t have access to website until tomorrow. That website better work” she retorted doubtingly.

As I analyzed sentiment and my own, I realized that we had felt “played” because we entered the seminar with a certain set of expectations. Because those expectations weren’t met with what we “assumed” we’d be getting, the end result had fully measured up. Without those expectations, I knew without a doubt that the training had delivered in a significant way.

We had paid the 500 for an educational development. The education was necessary because it laid the foundation that I believe was vital if are to Have success. It transformed us from consumers into real investors by developing within us REI mindsets.

Now some will venture and say well Bayshawn you could’ve developed that mindset for free just by searching the web. Others will say you could’ve found a mentor. Still others will say it was worth it but you could have found it for cheaper. To those statements, I confer, possibly so.

And to those inquiries I challenge, how do you obtain a particular thought pattern you never knew you needed? I can say that for me, the speaker delivered on promise. He said the kind of thinking that lead me to that seminar was not the level of thinking that would lead me to financial goals. And it certainly wasn’t that way of thinking that I left with.

However, it took some introspection and a bit of honesty to understand that issue was my expectations. I wasn’t to be given an investment but a roadmap to, keys and tools for successful investing. It was then I said excitedly to my partner, “We got exactly what we came here for. We received the foundational element that every investor must have. And because we received it, you and I will never live like the everyday consumer ever again.” And to me that’s worth more than anything else he could have given us. Without this way of thinking, we would have never entered into the business.

I know that all the other training is vital to the success of any one seeking a lucrative career in any part of real estate. However having an investor mindset I believe is the most important because it’s the foundation upon which the latter more complicated concepts are built. Without an investor mindset it can be easy to fall by the wayside, easily get distracted or subverted, or downright give up.

Having an investor mindset will foster your creativity; you will continue challenge yourself to find and implement strategies that meet your financial goals.

As an extension, an investor mindset will facilitate your personal growth; you’ll challenge the limits of your comfort zones and do things you’ve never done before.

Having an investor mindset will allow you stay motivated because it’s where your ”WHY” will take root, offshoot, and create anchors on which your perseverance and determination will stand. Having an investor mindset will allow you to absorb knowledge in a wholelistic way that will benefit you but those around you (the monopoly game example in my bio), embodying a ”win win win” business model both in business and in life.

Last but certainly not least, Having an investor mindset fosters confidence, agency, and capability because knowing how to do something and applying what you know how to do creates momentum and conditions ripe with potential success.

An investor mindset allows one to BE an REI Investor rather than be a consumer who's trying to invest. Thus I highly suggest, for anyone looking to invest to develop an Investor Mindset. And if you've already begun, to always keep your mindset at its investing best. It may sound obvious to some seasoned vets but in a market in constant flux, strategies and thought processes can become stale and force you to adapt. The investors mindset keeps you prepped.

Loading replies...