Skip to content
Sacramento Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Derek Daun
  • Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Termite lesson - recommendations on a pest company in Sacramento?

Derek Daun
  • Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Posted Jan 31 2017, 10:52

I learned my lesson in not taking chances with termite evidence. 

I bought a property in November where the inspection showed evidence of drywood termites. We got a seller credit towards treating the issue at closing, but figured we'd play it by ear before springing for the cost of tenting.

During remodel we found more evidence of termites extending up from the foundation, but the rehab exposed all the affected area in the main house. I chipped away at any soft wood and found no actual termites. The one caveat was a small addition to the house that also showed evidence, but the crawl space was not accessible to inspect. This area was not rehabbed, but the siding needs to get replaced there, so I figured I'd inspect it when I did that project. Unfortunately the rain came before I got to that, and my friends wanted to move in before Christmas, so residing got delayed. In the end, we decided not to tent, knowing there was risk the termites could still be active in the addition, or could have fully migrated to another location, but I felt okay with a 90% inspection.

Well, I lost on that gamble. It turns out the termites were active in the addition, and are suddenly in full on exploration mode. In one night they burrowed through the drywall in multiple locations of a corner of the addition. We suspect it has to do with the tenants getting an Orkin treatment, which possibly led the termites to decide it was time to find a better home.

So now I will need to call in the professionals. Even if we take all the siding off the addition and see evidence of just a local infestation, I assume we'll likely tent it. Who knows where the little buggers could have spread out to now.

Any recommendations on a good local company?

Loading replies...