Skip to content
Sacramento Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Jason Y.
Votes |
Damaged tub by tenant. What are my options?

Jason Y.
Posted Nov 8 2019, 11:43

I had an issue with my previous management company who just placed a tenant for me for out of state property.  I found a new property mgmt company who inherited the tenant from the previous property mgmt company. We were in transition for one month before the new property mgmt company took over. 

When the new property manager went out to meet the tenant and do an inspection, he discovered that the fiberglass in the tub was cracked. The water spout was bent and it almost seemed like someone stepped on it which caused a crack in the tub. He has children living with him.  I asked the previous property management company if anything was reported upon move in by the tenant because no tenant would want to jeopardize their security deposit and something like this would be reported right away upon move in.  But nothing was reported and the move-in inspection report was not filled out. This is very strange to me. We have pictures and documentation that clearly shows at the house was turned over and clean and safe condition. It cracked fiberglass and damage water spout would not pass safety and clean conditions to be rented.

The new property manager says that the tenant claims that he did report it to the previous property management company, but was told to wait and until he is transitioned to the new property manager and then work directly with the new property manager. Since there is no documentation, we do not want to get into a “he said she said” discussion. 

I got an estimate to replace the fiberglass tub.  It was few hundred dollars. But I’m not comfortable with that because there’s no warranties against future damages or mold which could lead to bigger issues. People in construction have advised me that a full replacement is a better option. The quote for a full replacement is a couple grand. I’m sure this is not gonna sit well with the tenant. Can he fully deny and not pay for this? What are our options other than going to small claims which is probably a headache?

Loading replies...