Skip to content
Sacramento Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kalpesh Kamdar
Votes |
Security deposit at the time of lease renewal ?

Kalpesh Kamdar
Posted Feb 24 2020, 10:46

Hi Everyone - 

Hoping to get a point of view. 

I have a tenant since the last 10 months in a brand new home I purchased as investment and I have visited them a couple of times to make sure they are maintaining the home. Overall the tenants has a stable job, great credit score, has been been paying before time and very responsive. Never missed a payment.

Inspite of letting them know a few times, the home tidiness is what worries me a lot which might be primarily because her hands seems to be full with 3 toddlers and a job. I see that the carpets cleaning is being ignored, there are many stains all over, the paint on the walls are starting to wear with kids marking and drawing several places. 

This leads me to believe that if and when she moves out, I will have to replace the carpet completely and also repaint the interior walls. The security deposit will not cover even 50% of that expense. 

The tenant wants to renew the lease for another 1 year. Now my questions is: CAN I ask ANOTHER (2nd) SECURITY DEPOSIT when I renew ? That way, I know that the expenses to fix the carpet and walls will be covered for. 

Is it legal to ask for another security deposit at renewal ? 

Loading replies...