Robin J.
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Renter Questions for Alameda (CA) Landlords and Locals

Robin J.
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Feb 4 2018, 14:27

Hey Alameda BPers,

I'm looking to get more knowledge of rental rates and rules in Alameda. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn the following:

1. Rental Market Competitiveness

• How do you determine how much excess demand, aka renter competition, there may be in a given location? Is this something I need to call around with property managers and listing owners to get a sense of?
  • I know market comps and historical trends based on online information (Zillow, Craigslist, Rentometer, Rentjungle), but unsure if properties would be filled quickly at the listed market rates
  • How to measure demand for single family house leases vs apartment unit leases? Is this something I need to talk to local owners and property managers about?

2. Rent Control Rules

• Does Costa-Hawkins apply in Alameda city? If I'm an owner occupant of a SFR or a residential MF, would that allow me to circumvent rent control regulations and forego the need to get city approval for any rent increases >5%?
  • Reference link: http://www.alamedarentprogram.org/rent-increases-a...

Furthermore, if there are any other Alameda natives and/or owners, I'd love to get in touch and talk about our market. Many thanks in advance!