Votes
Lindsey Maroun
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
R2 zoning and permitting

Lindsey Maroun
  • Bakersfield, CA
Posted Apr 30 2016, 16:53

I am in the process of purchasing a home with a small studio in the back. The studio is 308 square feet, has a bathroom, no kitchen, and is attached to a 2 car garage (both studio and garage are detached for the main home).  Both the home and studio are very old and do not have permits on record due to the age.  Because the studio is so small and does not have a kitchen, it is technically added living space to the main house instead of a studio.  I want  to extend the studio into a bit of the garage space, add a kitchen, make the garage a 1 car, and get it all permitted.  The zoning map shows the home as R2, so two dwellings on the property is acceptable.  However, the Metro Bakersfield General Plan map shows the home as LR, which would make it unacceptable to have 2 dwellings on this lot. Has anyone dealt with this before?  If I didn't add any space to the studio, I could probably get it permitted because it was built prior to digital records and grand-fathered in, but I am concerned that if I add space to the studio, I may have to go by the new General Plan map.  

Loading replies...