Skip to content
Denver Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Bain Craddock
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
First Post and First Property Using a VA Loan!

Bain Craddock
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Jun 13 2017, 02:57
Hey BP! I'm active duty Air Force stationed at Buckley AFB in Aurora. I have been here 2 years and am now interested in buying. About a week ago I was pre-approved for the VA loan, found a realtor, and started looked near DTC. Needles to say, prices are high (as they are all over Denver). I've listened to podcasts on BP and I chose the Arapahoe/DTC area because the commute to Buckley is relatively short. I also wanted to have a place near the light rail/DTC in order to rent the condo after I move. I'm looking to rent the other half of a 2 br while I'm here (9 more months), or likely Air Bnb it. As some others have mentioned in the forums, I don't see real estate taking a dive anytime soon, but I'm basing that on low interest rates for 9 years pushing capital into markets (national viewpoint) and also a continued strong job market in Denver (local viewpoint). The property I have found would barely pass the 1% rule once I rent the condo after I change locations. If rent prices drop I'd likely be breaking even. But given that I need a place to live anyway while I'm here, I would rather buy than rent. It needs to be a good investment, though. Just in case the offer isn't accepted, I started blanketing the building in the complex with small flyers with my picture and a short explanation of wanting to buy in that area and that I'm pre-approved (If you live there...sorry for soliciting 🤷‍♂️). BP users, is any of this a good idea? Should I be waiting to buy? Anyone know of any deals in this area? Am I on the right track by getting in the game with that first property? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Loading replies...