Skip to content
Denver Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Dave White
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Capitol Hill Condo: should I stay or should I go?

Dave White
  • Denver, CO
Posted May 11 2018, 18:19
First, I want to say how happy I am to have found such an active community concerned with real estate investing. It’s rather unfortunate that I didn’t know about BP when I bought my condo, but oh well, you don’t know what you don’t know... So here’s the deal. In late 2015 I bought a condo in cap hill for $425k. I love the condo, and at the time, I was certainly not looking at it through the lens of an investor. It has since appreciated to the 475-495 range, which is nice, however if I were to rent it out, the HOA plus mortgage amounts to about $2350. As for rent, it seems that the rent is in the $2300-2500 range, but there’s a huge luxury apartment building coming up next door, as well as other buildings in the Golden Triangle area coming in. In general, it looks like the place would be cash flow neutral before considering any tax breaks, and rent durability may be affected in the future. Further adding to my confusion is the expectation that the housing market will cool off as interest rates are hiked, and much of the appreciation I’ve seen over the past 2.5 years could be wiped out if I wait too long to sell it. In short, I am sort of anxious to get rid of it. I am getting married this summer and would like to move to Lakewood, Golden, or Wheatridge. We’re busy and my fiancé works a night schedule, so she doesn’t want to move until after the wedding, but it seems that June 2018 would be the ideal time to unload. Here’s what I want to do: I want to get a house. Then I want to start buying rental properties, probably SFRs, but maybe duplexes and quads. Buy and hold over fix and flip. My reservation with keeping the condo is that I did not really understand how to analyze a property as an investment when I got into it, and now when I look at it, it doesn’t seem that it is really a solid investment. Rather, it is a nice place to live, so the likely market for it is the homebuyer who doesn’t care about the economics, but enjoys the location, granite countertops, et cetera. Beyond that, the condo is tying up all my credit, and if it goes vacant, I will quickly become destitute ;) Given everything I have shared please help me tease out a couple things: are my concerns about the market unrealistic, maybe do I have more time than I think? Is there a way I could make this condo cash flow positive? $200/mo doesn’t seem like a very big carrot for holding such a large liability. Are there things I am not considering? What would you do if you were a 30-something looking to start generating passive income to the tune of several thousand per month? I acknowledge that my case is just another riff on a familiar story. Regardless, I really appreciate your feedback, and I look forward to being able to give back to the forum as my experience grows. Thank you. Dave

Loading replies...