• Mckinney, TX
Votes |
Investing in Hartford - Opinions and Property Manager

Francisco Ruiz
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Mckinney, TX
Posted Apr 22 2020, 20:40

Considering investing in small multifamily properties in Hartford, CT.  Would be a new investor in the market so would like to get some general feedback on particular areas of Hartford that are more desirable vs others.  Am looking at a 6 unit, which is between the Barry Square and South End areas, any thoughts on that area?  Also, would be looking to connect with and talk to some local property management firms that serve the Hartford area.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Frytz
Votes |
Replied Apr 23 2020, 02:21

Hi Francisco I'm a local agent that works with investors. Would love to discuss your goals.

Justin

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Allison
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Connecticut / Massachusetts
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 23 2020, 04:01

In my opinion Hartford is a tough place to do business.  That area in particular is a tough neighborhood, near Trinity College & Colt Park.  Before COVID, there was some talks about a development near Park Street & Main Street but I’m pretty sure this has been tabled for now.  

Investors do it, but It’s very dependent on the street.  I would recommend getting a PM that’s bilingual in Spanish for sure.

Feel free to PM me the complex you’re talking about if you want.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
William Joseph
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Plantsville, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Plantsville, CT
Replied Apr 23 2020, 04:52

My company manages a number of units in Hartford. Those 6 units can be money makers if you buy it right. I wouldn't pay more than 60K a door unless it is turn key. The taxes are high and at that size you don't have a super. Tenant screening in Hartford is very important. You need to have a strategy and can't think you will be getting nurses or people who work in the office buildings down town. PM me if you have a question on a specific property. 

User Stats

Votes
Edward Liu
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Apr 23 2020, 14:25

I make good money in Hartford with great cash flow.   For my 6 unit buildings, as long as 4 of 6 units pays rent, I am cash positive, anything extra is bonus.  I brought mine a few years ago, so price was lower.   I focus on condo-nized buildings, which have much lower property tax vs any other 6 units, at least 6k-8k less tax per year - which is significant.   There type of buildings are rare, but is available at times.   

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Replied Jun 20 2020, 10:00

Hi @Francisco Ruiz, I'm not sure if you're still looking in this area, but if you are, feel free to reach out. I am a licensed realtor and the owner of CT Property Management. We cover all of Hartford county with some exceptions (due to crime, mostly). We have a 5 unit property for sale in East Hartford $370K price, $4800/ mo in gross income.

Connecticut Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Meyer
  • Colorado Springs
Votes |
  • Colorado Springs
Replied Nov 12 2020, 16:55
Originally posted by @Francisco Ruiz:

Considering investing in small multifamily properties in Hartford, CT.  Would be a new investor in the market so would like to get some general feedback on particular areas of Hartford that are more desirable vs others.  Am looking at a 6 unit, which is between the Barry Square and South End areas, any thoughts on that area?  Also, would be looking to connect with and talk to some local property management firms that serve the Hartford area.

Thanks!

Hi, Francisco. 

I'm looking into the Hartford area right now as well. Any updates on your situation?

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 25 2021, 21:58

@Justin Frytz

Hi Justin

I’m from Brooklyn the market here isn’t the best I’m thinking of looking into Hartford Ct area looking for some multi family deals we can do fast closing all cash if necessary

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 25 2021, 22:03

@Ryan Allison

Hi Ryan

I’m very interested What you have to say about it because we’re coming from Brooklyn ny and  considering to go into Hartford area

Can you please give me a little more info about that area what’s tough  there ?

User Stats

Votes
Gervon Thompson
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied May 25 2021, 22:42

@Edward Liu

Hi Edward! Would you be able to elaborate on “condo-nized” buildings for me please? Do you mean buying buildings that offer condos or just buying condos individually? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Vaughn Smith
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Aug 4 2021, 07:42

@Filipe Pereira do you mainly stay out of the south side and do you manage in New Brittain?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Piccolo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Nov 18 2021, 17:12

I am debating buying a 25 unit building in Hartford around the law school/Harriet Beecher Stowe house.  I know the downsides of purchasing in CT are the extremely high taxes and the population growth has been -3.5%.  The building is currently priced at a 6 cap, 80k a unit.  Does anyone know what these type of buildings typically trade at and what are the downsides/upsides of that area?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Allison
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Nov 22 2021, 08:53

@Jason Piccolo take this with a grain of salt because i don't invest in commercial real estate or in Hartford.  But I can promise you that if I were to invest in Hartford, it would absolutely have to be higher than a 6 cap.  

It depends what street in that area, but generally speaking it's an OK area.  

User Stats

Votes
Jason Piccolo
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Nov 22 2021, 08:58

@Ryan Allison Thanks for letting me know. I spoke with another broker in the area and he basically said the same thing. I might be moving my search to small multifamily’s in West Hartford. I hear they are much easier to deal with from a management perspective.