Looking for a PM in Jacksonville, NC / Onslow County

13 Replies

Hello all,

I have a property in Jacksonville, NC that is in need of a new PM. I've used the same PM for the past few years, and have been disappointed with the responsiveness. Friends in the area have had similar struggles with their PMs, and so I'm looking to the community for some suggestions.

Thanks!

Collin

Ben, the biggest challenge I have with my current PM is responsiveness and consistency.

1. Semi-annual inspections are perpetually delayed, I rarely receive thorough move-out inspection photos and summaries (I do not live in the area, and these inspections are the only means by which I get visuals on the property). They charge a standard $75/inspection - which I am happy to pay ($150/yr is a small price for continual visual updates), and I requested they complete a semi-annual regardless of occupancy - this was like pulling teeth. Regardless, I only receive a semi-annual when occupied, meaning that if a tenant stays for 1yr (not uncommon in a military town like Jacksonville), I may only receive an inspection once per year (halfway through the lease). This means that at BEST I receive 1 inspection a year, and if the property is unoccupied for a few months, that delays the inspections even longer.

2. Repairs take weeks to dare I say, a month or more.

3. Simple email inquiries take days to weeks for a reply. Mind you, I do not inundate the PM with concerns while the property is occupied, and following ANY inspection photos, I am forward leaning on planning updates to be completed at the next turnover. I have to remind the PM staff of those items when I find out the tenant is leaving, and not all of them are completed.

4. It is hit or miss whether or not I'll receive a [monthly] statement when the property is occupied. And proceeds, which used to be sent via check, arrived randomly between the first and 30th. I opened an account with a bank at which they would deposit, and so the proceeds were more regular...but the statement that used to come with the check now only occasionally arrives via email.

An example is following Hurricane Matthew, I have had no feedback as to the status of my property. I understand all PMs are busy following a major storm, and so I emailed them last week just to ask when I should expect some photos or an update. I have had no reply. In my concern following the hurricane I asked a friend-of-a-friend to drive by (from New Bern) and take photos of any potential damage. There is a downed tree in the yard, brush everywhere in the yard and on the roof...and I have heard nothing from the PM. Knowing there is no structural damage, I have been patient about sending photos to the PM. I wanted to see if they would send an update... but I've heard nothing. If this were not their norm I wouldn't be concerned, however since this comes across as their standard operating procedure, I'm ready to move on.

That used to be my area too, I had a commercial property there.  I sold it off b.c I was self managing from 10 hours away.  That is a very transient town, all my contact has moved.  

Let me see if I can contact some of my peeps and see if they have any referral.  My contact was good but she moved to do more chamber of commerce and quit the realtor side of her business

I have a lot of friends that couldn't sell their homes, and had to rent, I have put out a word, I'll let u know if I have anything

My contacts gave me a few

Griflado Properties grifaldoproperties.com (christy)

Brown Properties www.bpofnc.com

ABA Rental 

Updated about 3 years ago

ABA rental I had a phone number, it wouldn't let me post, but my contact said he has a friend with 30 units, he said they were "the best". This referral is from a mortgage lender in J-ville the other 2 are home owners that couldn't sell their homes and these are the companies they used, as they all have moved out of state

Unfortunately your woes sound far too familiar to me...and for most folks who have used PMs in a predominantly rental market. I have 2 SFR in the Sneads Ferry area. Back when I had one I started self-managing after firing my PM following a terrible experience. Have been able to self-manage even though I've spent a fair bit of time out of the area. I built a solid network of contractors that I trust, have friends that will check on on the property if needed, and do my best to get quality tenants.

Jennifer Lee - thank you. Thanks to your contacts, I'll be calling on Monday to talk with a couple of potential PMs.

Ben, sadly glad to know it's not just me. It's frustrating, but easy to believe that PMs in rental prominent towns only have to be 'good enough'. They've got so much business, my property is just one among many.

One "hack" I started using was forging a relationship with a local realtor to show my houses for me for a cut of the first month's rent but no need to hire her or her company as a PM. Happy to share if interested. 

Ben, I like your method, but being so far removed from the area I'm not presently able to build the team of trusted contractors in a way that would work for my situation. Though I'll definitely keep it in mind.

So I ended up going with Grifaldo Properties (Thanks Jennifer Lee!). All else being equal, they appear responsive, organized and focused on things I am looking for in a PM. Including: online access to records, and lots of photos at every tenant turnover and semi-annually. The owner walked me through how they handled Hurricane Matthew, and that said it all for me. Night and day from the old PM.

Hopefully the soon-to-be-former PM doesn't drag out the cancellation of my listing and transfer to the new PM...

Originally posted by @Churchill Eisenhower :

Ben, I like your method, but being so far removed from the area I'm not presently able to build the team of trusted contractors in a way that would work for my situation. Though I'll definitely keep it in mind.

So I ended up going with Grifaldo Properties (Thanks Jennifer Lee!). All else being equal, they appear responsive, organized and focused on things I am looking for in a PM. Including: online access to records, and lots of photos at every tenant turnover and semi-annually. The owner walked me through how they handled Hurricane Matthew, and that said it all for me. Night and day from the old PM.

Hopefully the soon-to-be-former PM doesn't drag out the cancellation of my listing and transfer to the new PM...

How has your experience with Grifaldo Properties been over the past 2 years?

My PM is ABA and they are really good. But for some reason they are canceling managing all properties in the area where my property is. So I'm looking for a great substitute... 

Can anyone please recommend a very good PM company in Jacksonville? 

Has anyone had any experience with Sue Cruddas management? 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here