Skip to content
Jacksonville Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly Gopp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
FLORIDA SCHOOLS- OPEN ENROLLMENT COMING -Effect home values?

Kimberly Gopp
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Posted Jun 1 2016, 09:24

open-enrollment policy — to be applied starting in fall 2017 — that allows students to transfer to any public school as long as there is room for them.

First thought that hit me was this is great for us investors renting homes.  Lets say you have a family looking to rent and they have a middle school-er. Chances are you may not choose to rent in riverside or Ortega unless you can afford private but with this open enrollment coming now a family could rent in riverside and drive over the river to get their child to a higher ranking school.  Yeah, I know... The St Johns county school officials are freaking out and all the rules haven't been panned out just yet.  It's a wait and see how it works out. For most parents transportation will be an issue but for some it may be the perfect solution. For me as an investor this is great news! Tenants will have more options on home choices if they have school age children. 

QUESTION: What effect does this have for home values? Homes in better districts command a higher price per sq foot. With open school district does this effect the homes value? 

Loading replies...