Skip to content
Jacksonville Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes

Window code issue in Jacksonville, Fl

Francisco Cantor
Posted Oct 21 2019, 10:04

Hello BP Community! 

I recently bought my first investment property in Jacksonville, Fl that has an open permit (from 10 years ago) that didn't show up during closing. I'm looking for advise and contractors/engineers in Jacksonville to get this solved as quickly as possible. 

Situation:

The previous owner replaced all windows in the property and didn't close the permit. As a result, the city imposed a lockdown on the property until the permit is closed. Title insurance doesn't cover this.

Complication:

There is no record on how these windows were installed, so the city doesn't know if they comply to code, hence they failed the inspection to close the permit. The only solution they suggested is to replace all existing 35 windows in the property to ensure they meet code requirements

What I've tried:

I brought 2 window contractors and 1 architect to check if we can simply re-install the existing windows, but no contractor wants to work with product that is not manufactured by them. So far, the only choice is to manufacture and install new windows throughout

Questions where I could use your input: 

+Is there a cost-effective way to solve this issue that doesn't involve replacing all windows? 

+Can you refer me to good window contractors in Jacksonville? 

Thanks!

Francisco

Loading replies...