• Chicago
Votes |
Advice on finding a sponsoring broker in Miami

Matt Whitney
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago
Posted Jan 1 2022, 18:46

Hello BP Community!

I currently live in Chicago but I am moving to Miami in May of 2022. I'm in the process of studying for the Florida real estate exam and I plan on taking it sometime before then. 

I have a full-time job that's fortunately remote, but I'd like to get involved in real estate on a part-time basis to begin.I really just want access to the MLS. What're some best practices when looking for a sponsoring broker or at least one that will "supervise" me at the start? Do brokers hire part-time sales associates? If so, do they charge a 'desk fee', and how much is that typically on average?

On a side note, one of my best friends who lives in NYC is looking to purchase a few single-family homes in the Miami area as investments. He bought one earlier this year and the broker made roughly $40k from the transaction. He told me if I can get my FL license and gain access to the MLS, he'd bring me on as his agent and I could make more from his transactions than from my W2 job in 2022. It's worth noting, this individual is practically family to me, and I fully trust him.

How should I go about looking for a broker? Should I tell them I already have a qualified buyer? What are the expectations for part-time sales associates at brokerages? I'm new to this whole process and any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Matt

Loading replies...