Looking to ask a new Miami Realtor about passing the FL exam.

10 Replies

Hey Miami! 

I wanted to connect with a new licensed Realtor in the Miami area (up to 10 months ago) that took an online real estate course about tips to passing the FL exam.

I have friends that are struggling with it and have been asked about it a lot. 

(I really hope this isn't against the terms of BP and very sorry if it is!)

Have a wonderful week! :)

-Brad

I believe the live classes are Much better, but; most of the material to pass the test is not relevant to the actual business of being an agent. You just have to memorize all the irrelevant stuff long enough to pass the test. It’s a matter of studying and taking the prep/practice tests.

Hi there!

I took the course online - January 2018.

The course was very detailed, lots of illustrations and interactive videos.

Instructors were excellent! 

Lots of people tried to discourage me from doing it online but it worked for me.  I didn't have time to go to a school and crunch 19 chapters in 4 Saturdays.  It doesn't sound doable.

I took the test in April and passed it on the first time :-)

Problem with the online test is that you still need to do an exam cram or some live portion to pass the state test. State is much harder and the online course doesn't do a good job prepping you. 

I used to teach the Pre-License course in a local school and the live class makes sure most students don't fail the school test. For the state test, you go to like a Gold Coast for an exam cram. 

Remember math is only 10% so don't sweat that too much. Focus on Ch 5 & 7 as that is designed to trip you up the most (and maybe Ch 13 too). 

Hi Bradley,

I am currently taking classes at Miami-Dade College and have my final in August. I will let you know how difficult the test will be. I’ve heard mixed review as well, hopefully good study tactics will ensure I’m a first time go.

Sincerely,

Jess K.

My girlfriend took the online course with Gold Coast and paid for a prep course that guaranteed pass on the first try.  She would only recommend online if absolutely necessary and if you are extremely disciplined and self-motivated. 

Originally posted by @Marc Middleton :

Problem with the online test is that you still need to do an exam cram or some live portion to pass the state test. State is much harder and the online course doesn't do a good job prepping you. 

I used to teach the Pre-License course in a local school and the live class makes sure most students don't fail the school test. For the state test, you go to like a Gold Coast for an exam cram. 

Remember math is only 10% so don't sweat that too much. Focus on Ch 5 & 7 as that is designed to trip you up the most (and maybe Ch 13 too). 

Do all the RE courses use the same book, online or live? And what book is that?

Some schools have their own proprietary book and then some schools all use the same Apprentice/hill or whomever publishes books in your region. 

I have a terrible memory, and I used the technique applied by Alex Mullen he is a memory grandmaster, and he talks a lot about created palaces for future retaining and better-memorizing sills. I passed the test on my first try! I knew people who were still taking the test on their 10th attempt.

Example on how I would memorize the following term:

My “Palace” is my car where I spend the most time. Google Alex Mullen and you can learn all about his amazing skills in using memory palaces.

Lien Theory = lien on the property, but the property is vested with a mortgagor.

Lien Theory  = Car is Leaning on the property, but the property is vested with a morgue.

Your palaces can be anything your home, your workspace, car, or anywhere you spend most of the times. Your memory skills are based on the routine that you do. I really can’t go in depth on this since I only used but a tiny portion of Alex’s skill.

Hey Bradley,

I took the course last year in October through Gold Coast Schools, they're dubbed as the top Real Estate school in South Florida. I decided to go with the online course and imho I feel it was the better option. They broke the chapters down into individual sections. They really make sure that you absorb the information before you move on to the next section, and then test you on the entire chapter itself. I ended up passing the state exam on my first try. 

Also, if you're anything like me I don't do great in classroom settings. 

Hope this helps!

I took the live course here in Destin with Bryan Kiefer, a local real estate attorney. The exam was much easier than I anticipated. He explained to us that there are multiple versions of the exam, I think maybe 7? He said 1 is very heavy on mortgage-related questions, 1 is incredibly easy, and the other 5 are about average in difficulty. I feel like the exam I received was relatively average.

He definitely encouraged the live class, because based on numbers alone, about 75% of their online course sign-ups never actually finish the course. 

An all day cram course was also offered for only $50, and it was extremely helpful to have a quick refresher a few days before the exam itself.

Like Marc Middleton said, it's only 10% Math, so memorize those numbers and you will knock those out of the park. Chapters 5 & 7 along with 13 should definitely be a focus as well.

Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here