Tampa Bay Investors!

28 Replies

Hi everyone!

I have been watching on the sidelines for a few months, trying to take in as much as possible before jumping in the field. I am a prospecting wholesaler, I have a plan (I think), a marketing strategy (my current day job is a marketer, main reason I picked wholesaling) and a drive. However, I am not the newbie who wants to do anything to make fast money, and screw someone over, intentionally or accidentally. I do not want to start this difficult journey completely by myself, where I am not sure of all the consequences I may unintentionally cause some folks due to inexperience.

I would love to speak with any investors in my area that are active on Biggerpockets! This community is great, and I have learned most of what I know about real estate investing on this site. I greatly admire the way that everyone helps each other out, and hopefully I will be among those experienced investors helping guys like myself out one day. 

I am also looking for an agent who is young (like me) and understands the group like we have on Bigger pockets. I pretty much gave up cold calling agents today, I thought asking ya'll is a much better usage of my time, and hopefully I'll get to meet some other investors in my area on here!

Thank you!

Randall Clark

welcome to BP! What part of Tampa are you in? Where do you plan to focus? have you been to any of the local REIA meet ups?

@Adrian Smude

I live in Hillsborough, planning on focusing in the northern Tampa reaches, been zoning in on Seminole Heights, right below USF. And yes, Bay REIA a few times now. How is the business over in Plant City?

Randal as you still looking for a professional RE Agent to work with? Investors are a large part of my business. 

@Bill Hallman

Yes I am, do you mind if I message you?

@Randall C.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members which is my favorite part of the website.

Medium mysolo 401k logoMark Nolan, My Solo 401k Financial | [email protected] | 800‑489‑7571 | https://www.mysolo401k.net/

@Randall C.

Welcome. 

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

@Randall C. things are good here in PC, I focus from Brandon to Lakeland.  Let me know if you ever wanna talk about marketing options I've looked into/done.  

TBREIA has meet ups around Tampa Bay and they focus more on wholesale and cater to beginners more.  I try and attend their meet ups.  Hope to see you around.  

Account ClosedThanks Paul! I have heard many things about J. Scott's book, that is where I am going to head next on my education. 

I am around universities, thanks for the suggestion on student housing!

@Adrian Smude Yes they are very helpful for beginners. And Brandon is about the most eastern reaches of where I am focusing on.

Looking forward to talking with you more! 

Hi @Randall C.

I have a friend who lives around tampa that is looking at duplex/triplex house hacking opportunities in tampa area Class B areas and above . Would be interested in seeing what you might come up with around there. If you have some good opps., I'd be happy to make an introduction! 

Welcome to BP!

This post has been removed.

@Dean Fiacco Do you know what areas of Tampa Bay your friend is looking at? There are some really good neighborhoods coming up in North Tampa, but a lot of B's over in the Brandon area and above as well.  I am looking around for duplexes myself, and I would be happy to touch base with your friend to learn more about his parameters and what he's looking for. 

Good to meet you as well!

Originally posted by @Dean Fiacco :

Hi @Randall C.

I have a friend who lives around tampa that is looking at duplex/triplex house hacking opportunities in tampa area Class B areas and above . Would be interested in seeing what you might come up with around there. If you have some good opps., I'd be happy to make an introduction! 

Welcome to BP!

Tampa is a little difficult to get duplexs in good areas. Try St Pete, they have a better selection of duplex's and tri's.

Aaron T., Elite Developers of Tampa Bay

@Aaron T.

Thanks for this insight, if I heard correctly, the city of Tampa is phasing out duplexes.

Aaron, are you based out of Hillsborough side?

Originally posted by @Randall C. :

@Aaron Trommater

Thanks for this insight, if I heard correctly, the city of Tampa is phasing out duplexes.

You can find duplexes in Tampa, but they are at the two ends of the spectrum. one will be in a bad area, or you can find some in south tampa, but the cost of entry is high. 

I lucked out on a duplex in south tampa that i am closing on now. I will live in one side and rent the other.

Originally posted by @Aaron T. :
Originally posted by @Dean Fiacco:

Hi @Randall C.

Welcome to BP!

Tampa is a little difficult to get duplexs in good areas. Try St Pete, they have a better selection of duplex's and tri's.

St. Pete is even worse than south Tampa in my opinion. Either you're in the hood, or you're paying WAY too much for the unit that the numbers no longer make sense. Polk county is a better place to park your money. 

@Benjamin Pekarek let's keep the Polk county secret between us. ;-) 

I do agree Polk county has great rental returns and I've moved my focus to Polk county this year. 

To your point about Tampa phasing out duplexes - if you do find one, just make sure it has been occupied sometime in the past 6 months, preferably occupied currently.

I know a guy who bought a REO duplex and put about $30k into it. Nicest duplex on the block. As soon as he put a For Rent sign in the front yard, the city called and said it's SFH now. After spending more $$ in court, he had to tear out all the work he did, reconfigure everything for another $30k. Now he spend a ridiculous amount of money to own a 4/2 hideous looking SFH in a bad area.

Nick C., Circuitous Realty | [email protected] | 7274750107

Nick,

Wow! That is good information. We have been researching the Tampa Bay area for the last few weeks in hopes of securing a duplex or triplex. Thanks for the info...

Nancy 

wow @Nick C. that's valuable information that could cost others in the future. Are there any references that corroborate that new law? 

Originally posted by @Randall C. :

Aaron T.

Yes, tampa rather put up bigger SFRs than have multifamily. The exception would be townhome or condo type units.

I am in South Tampa these days.