• Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Permit or No? East Point Laundry to Bathroom Conversion

Ericka G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Apr 18 2017, 12:43

Hi all,

Bought a 3/1 + den in East Point that I'm planning to make a 4/2.  Just need to add a closet to the fourth room to officially make it a bedroom and will be converting a large laundry room off the kitchen into a 3 piece bathroom.  I am hoping to have it tenant ready by early June at the latest.

I've had 4 different contractors come by to look at the project and give estimates,  3 of the 4 said that this is a job that would be best done without permits because we're working with the existing plumbing/house footprint (not adding rooms or anything) so it could count as "repairs." They also note that the EP permitting process is a big pain to be avoided if possible.

One of the contractors initially said that we should probably permit the job just to be safe but then sent me a cost estimate assuming that we'd do the job without permits but added that permitting it would add $500 and 1 month to the timeline.  They'd do the work discreetly if we do this without a permit.

My questions: 

- If I move forward without permitting, will I run into problems when I sell in 5-10 years as a 4/2?

- What will happen if we get caught beyond a fine?

- Do you think it is worth the risk to move forward without permitting? Since pretty much all 4 contractors suggested that route I'm thinking it might be ok, but wanted to check here first.  They all have solid experience in this area 

Any input would be much appreciated.

Loading replies...