• Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Build my home in ITP Atlanta

Mike H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Aug 5 2020, 09:47

Hello BP, 

Hope all is well with y'all.  Moving with wife kid and dog to Atlanta from Brooklyn in a couple weeks.  We have a short term rental for a few months in the SW ITP.  We are looking to buy a house in east ITP.  Top of the budget would be 800k ish.  Want a 4/3 at least with a driveway.  In a decent elementary school district (don't need the school for 2ish years).  I'm not super excited about buying in a sellers market :).  It is what it is.  I believe the economy is in shock and am hesitant to buy at the top of our budget when it's not critical that we get that space/location yet.  Low interest rates and low inventory i believe is creating artificially high prices.  However that is not the point of this post.  I'm thinking of getting something 3-400k ish in not a great ITP school district that i can transition to a rental or sell when i get a better feeling for where the market is headed.  

On to my question.  We are also considering building on a tear down lot or lot.  Wondering what peoples thoughts on that are?  I have worked in construction my whole life and built homes in TX at the beginning of my career.  I was a super for a few years before i went in to ops management.   I built about 75 homes ranging from 1500 sqft to 5000 sqft.   Can I hire the architect/expeditor and hire the subs?  Thoughts?  Is that even legal IE do i have to have a builders license in Atlanta?  Thanks for your help!

Loading replies...