Votes |
Atlanta Exception to Contractor Licensing Requirements

Nicholas LaGatta
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Mar 20 2019, 14:25

Hi BP Team,

I'm under contract on another property in a historic district in Atlanta on a busy road.  This is a complete and major rehab, so I've got an architect that I know can get plans and a certificate of appropriateness with no problem.  I'm used to doing my own contracting as well as much of the less-critical work (kitchens, baths, paint, floors, carpentry, landscaping, repairs) but nothing really impacting health/safety (no major structural, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, roofing, etc.), mostly because it's so hard to find reliable, affordable help.  

Last fall, I was able to pull a general repair permit for a nearby livable property in the same neighborhood with the Affidavit Concerning Exception to Contractor Licensing Requirements by moving into the property and changing the address on my license.  Ideally, I'd like to do my own contracting again to save substantially on costs and avoid being reliant on a GC.  The new property won't be ready to move into until after the job is done.  

Is it possible to use the contractor licensing exemption for a property I plan to occupy only once it's completed?  Is there any issue with the fact that I used the same exemption for another project within a year?  Is there any other way to do my own contracting while still being in compliance?  

New Western Logo

Loading replies...