Skip to content
Chicago Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell J.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Water running continuously at multi-unit?

Mitchell J.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 30 2020, 08:18

Hi all,

I have a water issue for a 3 unit building that I purchased over the summer.  I got a notice from the city that the water has been running continuously.  When the water & trash bill came, the last bill cycle was for around $450 (38k gallons of water used)... whereas usually it's around $200-250 per bill cycle, and half of that usage.

I contacted the city and they had a person go out and check on the meter.  They said that the meter is working fine, but running continuously.  They also said they would provide me a 'data profile' report with more details on daily usage... however, after several calls and emails - still have not received this.  (Also, it's such a pain dealing with the city utilities department).

I spoke with the tenants and they all said they don't have any running water... no continuous flow in the toilets, etc.  Laundry area looks fine.  Everything seems to be OK at the building.

Anyone else experience something similar in your buildings?  I'm happy to call a plumber to go and take a look... but I have no idea where this hidden leak could be happening... wondering if this is typical and what the best course of action is here?  The building is one of those standard brick 3 units in UK Village built about 100 years ago.  Also, any tips on dealing with the city would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Loading replies...