Votes |
Chicago Permitting and Architecture

Tracie Sanlin
  • Investor
  • Chicago
Posted Jan 28 2022, 17:18

Hi All!

I need folks expertise on things.

I already pulled a permit for some basic stuff- window replacement etc but now I'm thinking of pulling another permit everything that doesn't require architectural plans. Is it a flag/weird for the city if I pull multiple permits on the same project? I'm the licensed GC on the project.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Feb 1 2022, 07:03

@Tracie Sanlin - Chicago permitting is always a tricky subject.  Can you help us understand the situation a little bit better....

I am confused about what exactly the first permit you pulled was?  Was that an email permit or a standard permit?  I would think it would be a red flag unless the first permit you pulled was an easy permit and just for demo or some interior work.

There may be a way to modify the existing permit but I am not 100% sure maybe @Samuel Pavlovcik or @Prashanth Mahakali have dealt with this before?

User Stats

Votes
Prashanth Mahakali
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 1 2022, 07:31

Thank you @Jonathan Klemm

@Tracie Sanlin Yes. it is a flag to pull multiple easy permits for the same project. The easy permit staff may flag the project as potentially exceeding the scope of an easy permit. So, please be cautious and ask an Architect if your scope of work would require architectural plans. Getting a stop work order is not easy to deal with and you would have to hire an Architect anyway. If you are confident that you would not need plans, just document the project as you work through it. There are documents available online from the Department of Buildings that clearly explain the process. Just google "easy permit process chicago". Good luck! 

PMPC Architects Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes