• Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Chicago prices declined at only 60% of the national rate M/M

Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 1 2022, 09:36

It was interesting to read the case schiller housing data released on Nov 29th which re-affirmed my belief that Chicago is unlikely to see significant price declines. Chicago month over month decrease was only .6% vs a national average of 1% this all with interest rates in the 6-7% range. While tech heavy areas which saw a stronger run up the last 2 years such as Denver fell 2% month over month and San Francisco a whopping 2.9% decline month over month. 

There are deals out there to be had right now with sellers often more willing to negotiate and I expect if rates do drop prices will quickly spike upwards as more capital starts chasing deals. Closed for a client today a cashflow 4 unit in Brighton Park for $370,000 which once cosmetic rehab done should rent in the $4800 range. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 2 2022, 08:15

@Henry Lazerow

That's what I've been seeing too. The biggest price declines have occurred in areas that had the most rapid/highest price increases and the most expensive markets.

Brighton Park is underrated. 4 units consistently selling for less than $400k and taxes usually below $5k.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 2 2022, 13:00

Definitely appreciate the incite @Henry Lazerow.  I am a little more optimistic that at least in the commercial multifamily space that sellers will start lowering their prices here in Chicago.  Is there a reason that you expect to see interest rates will drop?

I definitely like those Southeast areas around Brighton Park as well such as Mckinley park, back of yards, and little village.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 3 2022, 05:33

Interest rates already have dropped over a half a percent since last CPI showed inflation falling and the fed confirmed a pivot this week. The market is frwd looking, I expect fixed 30 mortgages in the 5s and investment mortgages in low 6s for 2023. Investment mortgages went from 7.8 to 7 already. I had no clients actively looking for a short amount of time right when rates went up and now have 4 clients looking again so seems people already jumping back in. 

Agree 5+ deals will either take a hit or be mainly cash only for a few years, they are much more interest rate sensitive then 2-4 units and cannot be financed at 75 ltv right now on many deals. Majority of north side 5+ has been selling at extremely low cap rates but they are still selling just way less transactions and often cash. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 3 2022, 08:35

Interesting article from Redfin this morning…

Homebuyer demand is rising as mortgage rates continue to decline, according to a new Redfin report.

On Dec. 1, daily rates fell to 6.29% according to the report, a full percentage point lower than the 7.29% peak last month. With that drop, Redfin found mortgage-purchase applications grew 4% from the previous week. Meanwhile, Redfin’s Home Buyer Demand Index, which measures requests for tours and other services, rose 1.5% from last month.

Those changes in rates and demand are keeping some sellers from dropping prices as they had been recently. In the four weeks ended Nov. 27, just over 6% of homes listed had a price drop — down 7.2% from the previous week.