Chicago Real Estate Forum
Account Closed
  • Chicago
Votes |
120 Days Notice of Non-Renewal: Refresher

Account Closed
  • Chicago
Posted Dec 2 2022, 08:29

I need a refresher. In a hypothetical situation, if a Chicago landlord gave 120 days notice on 12/2/22 of non-renewal of a month-to-month tenancy, when is the move out date? (hypothetical 3 year + tenants)

1. 4/3/23

or 

2. 5/1/23

Can't remember if the last day of tenancy it automatically defaults to the first day of the next month, or if it can be in the middle of the month with a pro-rated payment. 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Shallcross
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Replied Dec 2 2022, 10:09

@Account Closed - yes I believe it defaults to the first day of the next month. So in your example 12/2 is the same as giving notice 12/31.

@Mark Ainley was the one who informed of me this. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Ainley
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
Replied Dec 2 2022, 10:17

@Account Closed Tom is right in this scenario the tenant would be expected to be out by 4/30/23 or you can then file for eviction or consider them in default on 5/1 assuming they were in there longer then 3 years at this point!

Thanks for the tag @Tom Shallcross

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Chicago
Votes |
  • Chicago
Replied Dec 2 2022, 12:37

Thanks Gents @Mark Ainley @Tom Shallcross

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Dec 2 2022, 12:52

Hey @Account Closed - You already got the right info above.  From my own personal experience here in Chicago, I highly recommend providing the proper notice as soon as the tenant is in default.  We are going through an eviction and delayed our 5 day and then didn't serve the tenant properly.  

There are numerous businesses that will serve the eviction notice and the judge can be particular about what will hold up in court, so please take your time to figure out how to do things the right way.