Votes
Steve Rogers
  • Glendale Heights, IL
Votes |
Question about a quit claim in Chicago property taxes and fines

Steve Rogers
  • Glendale Heights, IL
Posted Dec 17 2017, 17:06

My brother had put a lot in my name without my consent via quit claim deed. It's a small lot about 3000 square feet in Hyde Park in south Chicago. I had contacted an attorney because I had wanted to get the deed nullified but the attorney had pushed me to sell the property instead, and the real estate agent we worked with waaaay overevaluated the property. He listed the property and now we've dropped the price 2 times already and it's currently sitting at 1/4 what the original evaluation was. Basically a combination of bad advice from this lawyer and the real estate agent over evaluating the hell out of the property has really put me in a bad spot.

The biggest issue is that the property has 4500 in back taxes and 2300 in city fines. Now the City of Chicago has retained a law firm to collect this 2300 debt from me. It was 1800 but now interest is accruing in it monthly. I need to do something about it ASAP

I don't want any money but I just want to get rid of this property and I'm in dire straits to do so. My brother has agreed to take it back via quit claim deed. I know that the property taxes are against the property itself so I know those go with the property.

But with the city fines now with a law firm trying to collect a debt from me. What happens if the property goes to my brother via quit claim deed? Am I still liable for the city fines? 

Loading replies...