Property tax refund for years of vacancy?

3 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Is there a way to get property tax refund if a rental property has been vacant for previous years? I've read through the Assessor's website, and I see you can get a reduction on the assessment for the current year. However I haven't read anything about getting a refund on previous years. 

Originally posted by @Davis C. :

Is there a way to get property tax refund if a rental property has been vacant for previous years? I've read through the Assessor's website, and I see you can get a reduction on the assessment for the current year. However I haven't read anything about getting a refund on previous years. 

Absolutely in a multifamily you can. Connect with an attorney who focuses on tax appeals to explain the procedure and evidence needed.

Originally posted by @Matthew Olszak :
Originally posted by @Davis C.:

Absolutely in a multifamily you can. Connect with an attorney who focuses on tax appeals to explain the procedure and evidence needed.

I figured it was possible, I'll try to look into it myself, thank you.