Chicago and surrounding area real estate

14 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Hello my name is Ian. I'm looking to get into real estate. My plan is to buy a multifamily and rent it out for some passive income. I would love any suggestions and or resources. I've been reading a lot of book and articles if anyone has any suggestions. If anyone has been successful buying rental property in Chicago I'd love to pick your brain.

Thank you in advance.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Investor-Friendly Agents in Chicago
Work with an agent who understands your needs as an investor and helps you find the best deals.
Find Your Agent Now

@Ian Rowland welcome to the forums! I own 38 units in the western suburbs of Chicago, and am seeing excellent returns currently. The key is to buy right, and probably even more importantly, manage right. I also host one local meetup in Forest Park, IL, and attend a land lord meeting in Berwyn. The networking is crucial as I have met some of the most important contractors, lenders, attorneys and inspectors through my network. 

@Ian Rowland

Your plan is so doable! I started house-hacking three years ago and currently have 2 properties and look for my 3rd now!
Keep reading, listening to podcast, and networking is key! Network with others, attend different events. I have met so many people that have provided me invaluable information.

@John Warren also has helped me, as well!

@Ian Rowland Confirming your financing strategy should always be your first step. A lot of investors try to focus on a specific property type, CAP rate, or price first but then are surprised to find financing wont work out for a variety of reasons. I always recommend you nail down your budget based on cash on hand, acceptable ROI, rehab, and loan type FIRST then work backwards with a good agent to setup a search. Good luck!

Originally posted by @John Warren :

@Ian Rowland welcome to the forums! I own 38 units in the western suburbs of Chicago, and am seeing excellent returns currently. The key is to buy right, and probably even more importantly, manage right. I also host one local meetup in Forest Park, IL, and attend a land lord meeting in Berwyn. The networking is crucial as I have met some of the most important contractors, lenders, attorneys and inspectors through my network. 

Thank you and that's part of me posting I'm trying to build a network. I can read as many books and podcasts but I'd like to hear real world examples. Can you tell me more about the meetup you host?

Originally posted by @Eudith Vacio :

@Ian Rowland

Your plan is so doable! I started house-hacking three years ago and currently have 2 properties and look for my 3rd now!
Keep reading, listening to podcast, and networking is key! Network with others, attend different events. I have met so many people that have provided me invaluable information.

@John Warren also has helped me, as well!

That's awesome that you are working on your third property. I realize that I need to network and go to some events. If you know any good events or suggestions I would love to hear them.

Originally posted by @Jake Fugman :

@Ian Rowland Confirming your financing strategy should always be your first step. A lot of investors try to focus on a specific property type, CAP rate, or price first but then are surprised to find financing wont work out for a variety of reasons. I always recommend you nail down your budget based on cash on hand, acceptable ROI, rehab, and loan type FIRST then work backwards with a good agent to setup a search. Good luck!

That makes a lot of sense I will have to keep that in mind thank you so much.

@John Warren Thanks for your helpful posts! I am very new to the site and I am still figuring out how to navigate all the wonderful resources. I am curious where I can find the schedule for the meeting you host in Forest Park? 

Originally posted by @Ian Rowland :

Hello my name is Ian. I'm looking to get into real estate. My plan is to buy a multifamily and rent it out for some passive income. I would love any suggestions and or resources. I've been reading a lot of book and articles if anyone has any suggestions. If anyone has been successful buying rental property in Chicago I'd love to pick your brain.

Thank you in advance.

I am an investor in the city.  Feel free to ask away.  Or PM me if you'd prefer.   

Connect with @Jeff Burdick above and as many local investors as you can. Also check out our local meet ups they are often posted in the BP events sections. 

I house hack a 4 unit in Edgewater/Rogers Park area. Most people house hack their first deal as this way you only need to put 3.5-5% down and have seller give a closing credit so you don't pay any close costs out of pocket (close costs normally 2% range). When you buy non-owner occupant it requires 25% down which is a lot for a new investor. I really like the gentrifying areas of Chicago and it's what myself and my clients mainly focus on.