• New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Local Landlord Insurance Providers - Recommendations

Nathan Chamberlin
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Sep 15 2021, 14:57

In October I'll be purchasing my first multifamily investment property (4 flat in Avondale) and I'm currently shopping for a landlord insurance policy. I found that my personal insurance providers (State Farm and Progressive) are either really expensive or can not cover the property. Can anyone recommend a local multifamily friendly insurance provider? Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Sep 16 2021, 04:02

@Nathan Chamberlin with insurance you often times get a better rate going through an independent insurance agent instead of through a captive agent shop. I will send you the guy who I am currently using. 

I also have found it useful to shop policies every few years. Each independent agent can shop multiple companies to get you a good rate/coverage combination. Insurance companies will often times jack your rates out of nowhere for seemingly no reason, so don't feel like you are locked in. This is one place where a handful of phone calls and text messages can be worth $500! 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Sep 16 2021, 06:19

Congrats on the 4 unit in Avondale! Awesome area. I have a really good insurance broker through Goosehead who has significantly beat competing rates. Feel free to PM and I'll send over the contact. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Faustrum
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Elgin, IL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Elgin, IL
Replied Sep 22 2021, 18:34

Reach out to Keith Murphy at 235 Insurance, he is local to the Chicagoland area and come highly recommended by Renovo Financial and ClickInvest both, I've moved all my new business over to him as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Obszanski
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jun 6 2022, 16:31
Quote from @John Warren:

@Nathan Chamberlin with insurance you often times get a better rate going through an independent insurance agent instead of through a captive agent shop. I will send you the guy who I am currently using. 

I also have found it useful to shop policies every few years. Each independent agent can shop multiple companies to get you a good rate/coverage combination. Insurance companies will often times jack your rates out of nowhere for seemingly no reason, so don't feel like you are locked in. This is one place where a handful of phone calls and text messages can be worth $500! 

@John Warren Would you mind sending me the independent insurance agent you are referring to in your post? If you are no longer using him/her, is there another you can refer? 

Thank you.

Mark

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jun 6 2022, 18:46

@Mark Obszanski yes of course. Happy to send his info over. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 4 2023, 05:43

@Mark Obszanski, similar to the comment above, would you be willing to refer the insurance agent you referred to? It's been several years since we shopped the policy for our 13-unit building.