• Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Multi-Unit Question Indianapolis ~

Brett Snodgrass
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted May 18 2016, 13:03

I have a quick question maybe someone could help me with. I am typically a Wholesaler and haven't ever had a situation like this so looking for advice.

I just acquired a mult-unit building with extra detached building in Indianapolis, IN.

The assessor's site claims this building is a Tri-plex, but the previous owner used the main building as 4 units, and then he has the extra detached building as an extra unit as well. So in total, there are 5 leases with 5 occupying tenants. The previous owner has had the property a long time, and I don't believe he went to the county to see about making this a legal 5 units.  Now I know if you go from 4 units to 5 units, It's commercial I believe, but the extra unit is detached.  

I am about ready to call the city to see about how to make this main building 4 units and the extra building a 5th unit.  Questions:

#1. Whom should I call? What department?

#2. Will this open a whole can of worms, and will the city be all over me?

#3. Any other options?  Again, I am just asking as we just purchased this building and it was already set up this way, and want to make a legal 5 units, or at least 4 units in the main building as it's set up that way, and the whole building right now is grossing over $2800 per month, and like that part of it, but want to make sure I'm ok, if I sell it or keep it. 

@Janet Hocker, @jynell Berkshire, 

Loading replies...