Skip to content
Indianapolis Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Richard Olshove
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rowland Heights, CA
Votes |
Weird Metric - Do You Have it Easy in Indianapolis?

Richard Olshove
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rowland Heights, CA
Posted Oct 5 2019, 23:16

Over the years of investing I have started to develop a metric where we look at the ratio of PMs in NARPM compared to the overall population to determine if there is sufficient mass of service providers to enable successful SFR investing. I have noted that the markets with the better ratios are better performers. I am looking at entering the Indy market and it was looking good overall but then I saw the ratio and am a bit concerned that I may not be able to find good PMs or repair folks.

For example (2017 population #s):

Indianapolis - 20 different PMs within 20mi radius. Total population of 873K for a ratio of 43.65. This is not a good ratio, but what do you find as an investor in this market?

Dallas has a ratio of 1341K people for 141 PMs, 79 are Pro for a ratio of 9.5

Cincinnati has a ratio of 301K people for 8 PMs, 1 is Pro for a ratio of 37.6.  Not good market for good PMs or service folks.

Lakeland has a ratio of 108K people for 48 PMs for a ratio of 2.25. This is a very strong number. However perhaps influenced by Tampa and Orlando being right there.

Atlanta has a ratio of 486K people for 151 PMs for a ratio of 3.2.

Would be interested in your thoughts as active investors in the Indianapolis market.

Warm Regards,
Richard Olshove

Loading replies...