How to get rid of mice in the rental property?

7 Replies

The new tenant has found mice problem in my rental house which has recently been completely renovated. She has set up 18 traps and still sees mice activities. 

Any suggestions for good products? Traps, electronic repellent, spray? No experience in dealing with mice myself. Thank you!

I've used Black Diamond pest control for issue in the past and have been overwhelmingly satisfied with their results. Mostly for wood destroying insects (because they are SO abundant in Indy) but used them for mice as well.

Originally posted by @Shawn York :

I've used Black Diamond pest control for issue in the past and have been overwhelmingly satisfied with their results. Mostly for wood destroying insects (because they are SO abundant in Indy) but used them for mice as well.

Thank you, Shawn. Using the professional is the last resort. I want to try to mitigate the issue first myself. 

Except for the mouse traps, has anybody tried any kind of ultrasound product to drive mice away?

I looked at this one and it seems some users think it's pretty effective. Does anybody have experience with it? Thanks.

Victor Heavy-Duty PestChaser

Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller

Model Number: M792

Menards

SKU: 2639898

I used Orkin to figure out how the mice were getting into my attic (only cost me a few hundred dollars for their service, well worth it).  Turns out there are little passages behind the siding at each corner of the house that run up to the attic.  They recommended stuffing steel wool into these passages (outside, at ground level near the foundation where the siding starts), and that stops the mice.  Seems to have worked!

seal up all holes and trap

poison works well but is a danger to pets and wildlife

When I've called professionals about mice control, they've told me there isn't much they can do that I couldn't do myself.  I buy the bait stations and bait from "domyown.com - I think they carry "commercial-strength" products that might be a step above what you can get at Lowes, etc.  

After that it's just a matter of persistence.  Of course, trying to seal any obvious openings is definitely worthwhile.

Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here